Friday, March 17, 2023

Aventure 844: Day 67/Tucson/2023

The good news is I tested negative for covid. The bad news is the cold that started with a tickle on Monday has blossomed into a full blown hacking annoyance. I've filled a waste basket with Kleenex, spent hours I should have been sleeping watching an incredibly violent series called The Mayor of Kingstown, which surprisingly is written by Taylor Sheridan who has also written the popular series Yellowstone and its prequels 1883, 1923, 1944. They're all eerily similar, unfailingly dark, but masterfully compelling. I can't quite figure out why I'm attracted to the flawed characters, but they do invite a view into the general weakness and cruelty that human beings are capable of. They also offer some sliver of redemptive grace. At any rate, I was up late binge watching hoping that I would be bludgeoned into unconsciousness. i had very little luck.

Today, aside from feeling like cold green mush, I spent the day watching March Madness, which for a junkie like me is like mainlining crack, fentanyl, cocaine, barbiturates, alcohol, and any other thing we addicts can consume. It was great, and if I didn't have to sneeze, cough, hack, and wheeze, I might even have enjoyed it. I'm quite impressed with the abilities of these young men (and women). I played a year of college basketball at University of Portland, but I have to tell you, on my best day I couldn't play with any of these folks. It's quite thrilling to watch them slash and swoop. The grace and power, the passion and purpose, and the will to compete that these players demonstrate is evidence that human beings can achieve anything they set their minds to. That, my friends, is what makes life good, especially today.

Obligatory cactus picture: Wire sculpture-Cactus Man.


Happy St. Patrick's Day.



Let's pray Maya is right. There's considerable evidence that our species is attracted to the wrenching pain of reliving history.

No comments:

Post a Comment