Monday, March 6, 2023

Adventure 833: Day 56/Tucson/2023

Today we wandered out in the desert for awhile, frolicking as it were with cacti older than our country. We were in search of the picture rocks. It felt a bit fey (giving the impression of vague unworldliness) to slosh along a rock strewn sandy wash following a mishmash of foot prints. I can only imagine what this part of the world looked like when the inhabitants spent many of their days chiseling figures into the face of the rocks. The best petroglyphs we've come across were outside of White Sands near Las Cruces, New Mexico. There, literally hundreds of images are etched on stone. In my mind's eye I can see those men scratching their visions into the stone. I'm sure it was the men because likely the women were back home doing most of the work. I wonder if the artists who carved the petroglyphs knew they were leaving a mysterious legacy. Maybe it was just a way to communicate, sort of like a newspaper (if you're old enough), or a tik-tok story (if you're hip enough). I wonder if anything was off limits. Maybe cancel culture existed fifteen hundred years ago. Or maybe they had comedians like Stephen Colbert who said, "This would be really damaging if anything mattered anymore." And I wonder what mattered back then, especially in light of how long it takes to scratch a figure into stone. I mean wasn't survival paramount? I can't imagine a Kroeger's, a Piggily Wiggily, or a Walmart popping up among the Chollas. I do know this. As an artist, if I got to make art without constraint, life was certainly good, especially that day.

Notice how green the desert is right now.


Maybe the indigenous artists doubled as look outs as they scratched their pictures up on the rocks.
I wonder if my own digital petroglyphs will last, and if so, will anyone be able to decipher the mysteries?


This poor guy has seen his last picture show.


Many of his brethren will live to witness another day.


Really?


I wonder if that multi-armed saguaro in the back is really an astral communication device. It's just as likely as Tucker Carlson's latest interpretation of January 6.


A wash by definition suggests water at some point. We walked three miles along this wash today. The only evidence of water is the amazing green of the dessert.
Since today we all are as young as we'll ever be as well as old as we'll ever be, we must all be works in progress.
Ask the old guy on the right. He knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment