Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Adventure 793: Day16/Tucson/2023

Another pretty good day in the neighborhood. The sky was clear blue, the air a bit crisp, and we started our day as usual with a trip to the hot tub. We bubbled for a bit, and then Judy went to get the newspaper from the Kral's since they are off on their Mexican cruise this week. I stayed behind for some more bubbling and contemplation. I'm going to miss the hot tub when we move into our new digs. Our cribbage challenge has increased to three games per day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I must say it's more fun to win. Currently, the Wiley Cager's fortunes have changed dramatically. At one point this month she was ahead $2.13. As of today I'm ahead by $1.14. That's a $3.27 turn around with six days to play. But whoever gloats will feel the wrath of reversal, so I'm trying to be gracious and humble, which is not so easy when you're perfect in every way. Ha! Judy's back is still a bit stiff, so we didn't go on our planned hike in the Sweetwater Preserve. Instead, I rode the loop. According to my watch, I rode for 4 hours 11 minutes. I figured it to be nearly sixty miles. The Tucson bike loop is mostly spectacular. Most of the path, while not necessarily scenic, is pleasant. It's paved, mostly smooth, and pretty flat. Some parts of the loop require riding on roads, which lessons the fun. There are also some roads to cross. In fact, I came pretty close to getting hit by a lime green KIA SOUL. The trail crossed a road; there was a slight rise and a steel bridge to the left. The bridge had solid sides, which blocked the view. I looked left at the opaque bridge, then right, the left again. By then I was approaching the shoulder of the road. The SOUL was about midway across the bridge, coming fast. I was in a high gear, so restarting from a near stop was slow going, but I pressed on. The SOUL made no effort to slow down. Fortunately, I made.it. The police report flashed before my eyes: Elderly snowbird hit by a KIA SOUL. Dead on arrival. Name withheld until family  notification. And then, in a spiritual vein, I thought: The goodness of afterlife yet to be determined...there is some kerfuffle over classified documents.  After four hours, most riders are suffering a little. They'll do anything to distract themselves. Some times I just day dream. Dreams often make life good, especially today.

Selfie of the day: About halfway around the loop.
There are quite a few very nice art pieces along the loop. I'll chronicle them on future rides.


This piece is quite nice.

As Annie Lennox of the Eurythmics sings: "Sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree...?


No comments:

Post a Comment