Sunday, January 15, 2023

Adventure 783: Day 6/Tucson/2023

When Judy and I married we compromised on church. I grew up on the right side of the spectrum as a Roman Catholic. Judy grew up at the other end as a Mennonite. We met in the middle and have been worshipping as Presbyterians ever since. This morning we attended the 8 A.M. service at Northminster Presbyterian. The atmosphere was friendly, upbeat, and inspirational. I enjoyed Andrew Ross, the pastor, who led the service with exuberance, humor, and substance. I think it will be our church home while we're here. Pastor Ross spoke today about living a life that strives for the kingdom of heaven rather than living life driven by our sensual desires. In one quip he prayed aloud, "Lord, help me be the person my dog thinks I am." It rattled some memories loose in my mind. The best dog I ever had was a pure bred German Shepherd I rescued as a pup. I named him Tim. He couldn't be sold at top dollar because he had a floppy ear. I worked with that dog every day. He went everywhere with me, and when I had to put him down some sixteen years later, it was tough. I remember how excited he became every time he saw me. He would twirl his eighty-five pound body round and round in tight circles like a tornado. Lord help you if he caught your leg on one of his spins. I loved that dog. I think he loved me. I completely understand Pastor Ross' sentiment. The dog's love was infinite, but his understanding of my imperfections was limited. Or maybe not. Maybe he just accepted me as I was. Anyway, I spent much of the service flashing through memories of moments I spent with Tim Dog. I left church hoping to live the life of a better man. The rest of our day we spent with our friends, the Kral's. David is a serious football fan, so we spent the afternoon watching games on this Wild Card Sunday. Very enjoyable. Another of the great joys life is enjoying time with good friends. It makes life good, especially today.

David muted the sound of the football game so we could listen to the tunes Judy and Ginny played.
We enjoyed a magnificent late lunch of chicken pot pie. The weather was misty in Tucson today, so this dish was supremely comfortable.
The Kral's are heading out for a cruise at the end of the week. Here David is confirming air line reservations.
Here, the Wiley Cager is posing much like Cleopatra.
Art shot of the day: I painted this picture in 1996. It now hangs in the Kral's guest bathroom.
Judy and Ginny also share an interest in knitting. They're considering their next projects.
Ginny, showing one of the shawls she made.
For our afternoon snack, we enjoyed smashed potatoes and sautéed chard with caramelized onions and apple.

 Selfie of the day: Quite satisfied after enjoying our second lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment