Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Adventure 779: Day 2/Tucson/ 2023

A Tibetan text puts it like this: "Beneath the pauper's house there are inexhaustible treasures, but the pauper never realizes this, and the treasures never say, 'I am here'. So what treasures did I discover today? First, though I may sometimes suffer a pauper's spirit, God's grace has blessed me in ways I certainly don't deserve, and most certainly can't take credit for, so I welcomed the heat of the hot tub water this morning  as I watched the rosy fingers of dawn awaken the day. Then I enjoyed a morning tradition with my Bunny at breakfast, trying my magnanimous best not to be chagrined by another loss at cribbage. Sadly, (for me), the Wiley Cager has been on a hot streak that's lasted over a month. We play daily for the exorbitant price of a penny a point, nickel a game. We pay off monthly with a trip to the local bakery for a scone or some other sweet treat. The monthly loser has to pull out the credit card to pay. Last month, I suffered a tremendously humiliating defeat to the tune of $4.65. Worse yet, the trend continues. I'm currently down $1.41 with twenty-one days to play. I've even contemplated returning to my cheating ways just to secure a win since I feel as hungry as the Dickens character who asked, "May I have more?" Instead, I revel in the joy of life with the "Cager", which speaks to the idea of treasures found. I can't think of a better way to start every morning than a  friendly encounter with my Bunny. After breakfast, I enjoyed my first bicycle ride in Tucson today-another treasure I've spent a lifetime pursuing. Since I've not been on my bike for several months, I rode just an hour along the canal. Every little pain from my neck to my hamstring made me realize I'm glad to be alive. It's easy to find fault in this world, but like the poet Rumi asks, "How long will we fill our pockets like children with dirt and stones?" Instead, I choose to let the world go, and revel in the good fortune I'm enjoying now. I truly believe that life is good, especially today.


Who am I to judge?

No comments:

Post a Comment