Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Adventure 721: Bisbee Two/Post D

Today was filled with highs and lows. After breakfast, we climbed a few more of Bisbee's staircases and then scaled a shale filled rocky trail to the White Cross shrine that overlooks Old Bisbee. The walk felt good, and if we spent much time in Bisbee just walking around, our legs and lungs would surely benefit. After our hike, we decided to check on Bisbee's suburbs, which I must say offer little in the way of charm with the exception of the very quaint and unique Shady Dell Resort. It has quite a bit of charm, and for the eclectically adventurous, it's a resting spot to be considered. The low point of our day was a visit to Trump's wall, which I consider not just a stain on America, but a severe measure of harm done to humanity. Sadly, I acknowledge that we live in a world of alternative facts, but according to data compiled by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency, the numbers are these. As of October 16, 2020, 16 miles of new barriers were built where none existed before; 170 miles of fencing were built as vehicle barriers only, meaning they wouldn't stop foot traffic; 135 miles replaced existing fencing. That totals to 321 miles of the 2000 mile border. The current cost totals 15 BILLION, seventy percent of which was not authorized by Congress. Mr. Trump used a declaration of emergency to reallocate funds from the defense budget. I felt saddened viewing the wall in much the same way I felt saddened when I first saw the wall in El Paso in 2012. I think maybe we should scrub the inscription off the Statue of Liberty, or perhaps we should rethink our illusory American Exceptionalism. But that is a cynical view. I understand anger, but I refuse to sink into cynicism. Rather, maybe we should start living up to the ideals we pretend to hold dear. Whoops. Judy will say I'm ranting so I will stop now, because our good friend Liz just arrived which makes life good, especially today.

The Shady Dell has about twenty-five vintage trailers for rent, including this yacht. Each trailer has a vintage record player and records that accompany the theme of the trailer.
This record is recordings by the Rat Pack of Las Vegas fame.
This was the epitome of luxury travel trailering in the 1950s.
Being it's Ash Wednesday, we thought it appropriate to pay a visit to this guy.
I pray every day that God has some plan that I as a mere human am too dim to understand. I merely take life on Faith.
Big, beautiful (Eye of the Beholder) wall-all sixteen miles of it.
The Shady Dell made me smile; I needed it after a visit to the border.
The view of Old Bisbee from the White Cross.
The Yacht.

Really?

Really what it's all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment