Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Adventure 136: Seattle, WA/Post G

Today, the clouds gave way to shiny.
Seattle, Washington may be the most beautiful city on earth when it's shiny. This morning, the shiny morning presented us with a clear view of the Olympics, the majestic presence of Mt. Rainier, and the glassy mirror of Puget Sound. The torrential rains of the previous day were but a damp memory, and nothing but warm promise welcomed the new day. It must be so because I skunked the wily cager for starters (She made the mistake of leaving the room), and then we met our friends, Ross and Dinah Coble for breakfast. Dinah retired as our Librarian at Sacajawea two years ago, and Ross led the way into retirement about seven years ago (He's been the guide for the rest of us). They are in the midst of a life change. They're selling their home of thirty years in Spokane and moving into a new home in uptown Ballard so they can be near their first grandchild. If that's not shiny, I don't know what is. We shared the morning, enjoyed looking at a few pictures of "Rex", and took a tour of their new house. In the midst of life's circle, it felt warm to be near two people so eager to begin a new chapter in their life. Later, while I was at Douglas and Nora's, she was visiting with old friends, so I took the opportunity to go to the basement. One of my favorite programs, Charlie Rose, was being broadcast. His guest was the Director of a new movie, American Hustle, which is up for ten Oscars. David O. Russell, the director, said an interesting thing. When asked what he wanted to accomplish with his cinema, he said, "I'm most interested in presenting the emotions people are willing to live and die for, and I'm most interested in the rebirth after great trial ." So often we move through life not willing to risk either emotion. We're not willing to really risk what's necessary to really live, nor are we willing to face the very real possibilities of death. The result is that we often plod through life saying stuff like, "Same shit, different day." This world view protects us from involvement (And maybe some pain), but it also limits possibility. Our own fears prevent us from remaking ourselves. In recent days, I've asked myself, "What is truly important?" I've come to the conclusion that supporting my family and friends is one of the truly important things. It's like my favorite daughter said at dinner tonight, "I may be living on one branch of my family's crazy tree, but it is a kind of crazy I understand."  A few years ago a singer named Simply Red had a hit song in which the line, "Everybody Hurts" was prominent. It is true. There is suffering in the world, but there is also great joy. There is the joy of a firm handshake from your oldest son. There is the joy of a hug from your favorite daughter. There is the joy of keeping a promise. There is the joy of watching a grandchild's first step. There is the joy of unyielding hope, and there is the joy of unconditional love (Who can call any of that crazy?). I can't explain very much of anything, but I can tell you that when I watched my friend flipping through the several hundred pictures of his grandson on his phone, I couldn't help but believe that joy is real, so real it makes life good, especially today. 


 Do you think a bookshelf full of hot sauce is a life metaphor?
 Ross and Dinah Coble, looking brand new as Seattleites.
 This is Rex,  the cutest grandchild in the world.
 This is Ross, scanning the most recent photos of Rex, the cutest grandchild in the world. 
 See photo above. It may be where young Rex gets some of his good looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment