Saturday, February 1, 2014

Adventure 119: Valley of the Sun/Kralazona Hotel/Post H

Men's Worship Symposium 
Looking back, today could fall into one of two categories (Or maybe both): "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", or "God works in wondrous ways". Since we've been enjoying the hospitality of David and Ginny Kral, and since it just so happened that the All In: No Regret's Men's Conference was simulcast at their church, I tagged along. I guess  I'm just a Roman who happened to witness the wonder of God's preachers at work. It's interesting, both in terms of my personal history as a recovering Catholic and in terms of my journey in the spirit. Nonetheless, there I was sitting next to David in the front row. The conference lasted all day, we listened to six speakers, and much of the message can be summarized in a challenge for men to step up to "Righteous Man" status. Oh, my goodness! First up was a guy named Darrin Patrick, who spoke on Galatians 5:16-6:2. His message: Don't obey for acceptance; obey from acceptance. His metaphor was growth as fruit. Fruit grows painfully, interdependently, internally, and gradually. Each of us should celebrate as we grow. And most of all: righteousness can't be legislated. I liked the message. I've long thought that morality can't be legislated, and I agree that right should be done for right's sake. So I was part of the choir the first hour. Then an African American pastor named Rod Hairston spoke about how dangerous it is for women in our society (Judges 16). His theme was that he was there to "cover" the women in his life. He cared for his wife; protected her, provided for her,  and acted in ways that made him worthy of her love (I liked that part). Where we diverged was his excess patriarchal stance, especially in terms of making sure his daughters boyfriends were screened. His position is that it is his duty to guide his daughter in to a right relationship. My personal stance is that I'm not in charge of my daughter's romantic life. However, the passage from Judges was one I wasn't familiar with, and it was disturbing on the face of things. I was excluded from the choir in that hour. Next came a British guy named Stuart Briscoe, whose question centered on a common thought: Who is God? He was a professorial type who built a logical argument of how God reveals himself (Too many Bible passages to note). Basically God reveals himself in the wonders of the creation, his promise through covenant, and the sacrifice of Christ. For me, this is a part of my personal struggle. I don't doubt who God is, but I do struggle with surrendering my control (A pride issue no doubt). Bill Perkins came next to talk about temptation, and since I've given in to all kinds of temptation, my ears perked up (What's that sizzling smell?). He talked from my favorite book, James: the wages of sin are death. I liked his notion that we can identify our thoughts, take them captive, and alter our behavior. He also wanted me to involve others. There, my pride got in the way (Again). I like to solve my own problems, and truth be known, I'm a master at rationalizing my problems away (Ben Franklin, I call it). So I wasn't really part of the choir here, either, mostly because I don't share myself with others quite so well.  Then the pastor who was hosting the conference spoke on being a "Legacy Father". He spoke loud and clear to me. I liked two parts of his message in terms of how to be a better father: 1) Get off their back and get on their team. 2) Ask, "What kind of picture are you painting with your life? Though the challenge is stiff and the regrets many, the good news is that I get a new chance tomorrow (If there is one). The final speaker was another African American pastor named Rick Rigsby. He asked us, "What is your priority?" Good question. His metaphor was a closet full of stuff from our materialistic world: go, go, go; do, do, do; buy, buy, buy. What is in my closet? The climax of his story sketched the death of his gorgeous wife from cancer; the gift of a new love (Who adopted his children). He made me cry and then he made me laugh with a quip about his friends lamenting, "Here I am married to fat Mabel, and you're blessed with two fabulous women. What gives?" Many of my friends have asked me a similar question. Though it was stylistic, it was a speech staged to Hollywood perfection. It jerked my heart out and lay it there before me, trembling, exposed, attentive. I listened when he said, "Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the heart of stupidity" (There's that pride thing again, wondrously woven into to the heart of things). Needless to say, I opened the door and looked directly into my closet. The wondrous part, I guess, is that I was there at all; however, struggling is good,  thinking is encouraged, and life is good, especially today. 

As an aside, Judy and Ginny spent the day together, some of which was spent at the  cactus nursery (Pictures to follow). Since they have thoroughly enjoyed their time together this week, life was good for them as well.
At 6 A.M. David had coffee ready for me. Whoo! Hoo!

 Art shot of the day: They awning covering the common area at the church.
 Some of the church men milling about before the conference began.
 Judy's photo of  a cactus as the nursery. Stunning color.
 You know they bought a few plants to bring home (Smile).

 It would be fun to be here when the natural desert was in bloom as these are.
 Even the brown flowers have majesty.
 These look like those popsicles kids eat in the summer.
Wouldn't it be lovely to see a whole Saguaro forest blooming, each crowned with white blossoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment