Saturday, February 15, 2014

Adventure 132: Seattle, WA/Post C

My favorite picture of Douglas and Nora at Priest Lake.
We spent the late morning visiting our favorite cousins, Douglas and Nora Hoisington. Nora has been battling Cancer for sixty-nine months now. In fact, she's so energetic and vivacious, most of those months a stranger wouldn't  have known she was sick. Even yesterday, despite a yellow tint from jaundice and fatigue from the battle, she radiated her usual warmth.   She shared her Valentine chocolates with us, her cupcakes, her humor, and her home. The day was busy while we were there. Both of her daughters were with her, as was Douglas who is among other things, the gatekeeper. There needs to be one as a steady stream of friends and loved ones pass through. The priest came. Friends stopped by to drop off food. We were there, and so on. Judy and I have been blessed to have Douglas and Nora in our lives for quite some time now. They've opened their hearts and their homes to us. Not only that, they are largely responsible for our love of cribbage (Douglas taught Judy to cheat). I'm sure I'm making this part up, because surely we've won a game or two, but I mostly remember Douglas and Nora beating us unmercifully (They are fierce competitors) whether we were playing a game at Priest Lake or in a restaurant or at their dining room table. All I know is we've played quite a few games over the years, and Judy and I are on the minus side of the ledger. My cousin, Joan, Douglas' sister was also in town, so we all piled on Nora's bed, ate sweets, and bantered back and forth just like we always do. Unconditional love spread like the comforter on the bed. Speaking of spreading the love, in the afternoon Douglas graciously offered his extra car (We were going to rent one) for me to use over the weekend, and then he went even farther. He used his car to drove Judy out to Bellevue to meet Elizabeth so Judy and she could drive to Spokane (In Libby's car) for a baby shower. Douglas is an excellent driver who knows his city. I'm an adequate driver who knows a tiny bit about the city (And nothing about Bellevue). Seattle traffic is atrocious because they are in the midst of a complete upgrade of the downtown corridor. Not only that, but driving in Seattle traffic makes me nervous (I'm whining now). The bottom line is that if I can get the willing services of an excellent driver, I'll take it every time. Later, after we returned, we enjoyed pizza (Brought over by one of Nora's co-workers) for dinner, and visited with Boy Wonder's girlfriend's parents. Boy Wonder is Craig, Nora's nephew. He's really more like a son they never had. He has also benefitted from the boundless love of Douglas and Nora. Anyway, it must be serious because he invited the parents of his girlfriend over to meet the family. Around eight, Nora called it a night, which put an end to quite a full day. I used Douglas's car to find my way over to Elizabeth's apartment. I slept, and now it's another day in the Emerald City. Around noon, Douglas will drive Joan to the airport, and he, me, and his daughter Ashley will travel to Tacoma for my sister's memorial. And so it goes. We control what we can control; we accept what we can't; we give thanks for every day. I think it's a good choice because after all, life is good, especially today.


Joan brought these cupcakes back from her "walk". They were yummy, especially the the ones with the pink frosting.
 Nora and her daughter, Alex, two very beautiful and photogenic gals.
 My cousin, Joan, who now lives the retired life as a ski bum in Park City, Utah, is looking the part of the rich and famous slope bunny. That's my Bunny next to her.
 We enjoyed a couple rounds from this heart full of chocolate.
 I have my "Bunny". Douglas has his "Darling". (I'm not sure what they call us, but it's mostly favorable).
 We got to visit Alex's cute apartment. She has a knack for decorating. She managed to make this six hundred square foot, one room space look elegant and feel cozy.
 Proud "Papa".
 Little Miss homemaker.
 I love this picture of Douglas and Alex when she was a little over two. Nora must have taken the photo, and Ashley was mostly likely hanging from her hip.
 If you peek out the window of Alex's apartment, this is the view.
 Nora with her daughter, Ashley.
 Most of the gang gathered on the bed watching the Olympics.
 Douglas dropped his phone into the lake let summer. He recovered it in one dive. It's over twenty feet deep right below him. Amazingly, the phone worked, although he used the occasion to upgrade. He's know a skilled user of a smart phone.
 A few years back, I moved the wood pile into the shed, which improved the look of the property and also keeps the wood dry.
 Nora, acting as "Boat Babe" and tour guide. She and Douglas are true "lakers". For them, the only thing better than being with their family is being with their family at the lake. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment