Friday, February 7, 2014

Adventure 125: Desert Shadow RV Resort/Post E

Nothing is more relative than the scoreboard.
First of all, the cribbage gods are tough to please. I lit my JuJu candles, cheated brazenly, changed decks, faced south, north, east, and west, and still I lost. I'm down by one game in the Phoenix Open with but two days to play. I feel like poor Casey sneering at the pitcher, only this pitcher is a wily cager named Judy. After our morning routine (Sadly, my poor tail is becoming routinely stuck between my legs), we drove out to meet Margo and Roger Shute for lunch at a funky joint in Cave City called the Horny Toad. Cave City is an old town just north of Scottsdale. The town has kept its western flavor and turned itself into another tourist magnet. Interestingly enough, we'll return there tomorrow with Judy's cousin (Russ and Kathy Isaac) to witness the running of the bulls. We had a delightful lunch with Roger and Margo. We did the usual, summarizing the last forty years in just under forty minutes, talking about the kids and grandkids, and if we'd have had more time, we'd have whipped out the pictures. For me, it was especially nice because Margo is four years older than her sister Anne (My late wife), and she was out of the O'Brien house by the time I started hanging around. Of course, we've seen each other over the years, but our paths never really crossed. If I have realized anything lately, it's that not only is life short, but there are no guarantees for tomorrow (Actually, I've known that for quite a while). What's new for me is the desire to reach out and share things with others. It was a good start to another full day. After lunch, we did house keeping things (The wash, the floors, the bathroom, etc.) in anticipation for leaving Phoenix on Sunday. Continuing our full day, Judy's cousin Russ Isaac picked us up at four thirty and took us to dinner at one of their local favorites, a family friendly Italian place near us. It was a pleasant change from our diet (lately) of Mexican food and BBQ. Naturally, we summarized the last forty years and shared stories of our kids and grandkids (That's what retired people do). In addition, Judy and Russ also took brief trips down memory lane. Though they're cousins, their lives have been led quite separately and they haven't seen each other since they were kids. Again, one fabulous fringe benefit of being retired travelers is the occasion to connect. I think we had an inkling when we started this adventure that we'd do this sort of thing, but neither Judy nor myself really understood the joy we'd feel from such efforts. After dinner, I got a real treat. Many of you know I've dedicated much of my life to the game of basketball. I've played, coached, watched, and studied several thousand games by now, yet I rarely pass up the chance to see another (I even turn my head when I see pick up games in a park). Tonight we got to watch Russ and Kathy's grandson play on senior night. The game started rough, but the true mettle of the family genes came out in full force. Xavier's team prevailed, in large part to his twenty plus points, solid floor play, and experienced senior leadership. He had help. The big man on his team played an excellent game (He's a scholarship football player, and he plays basketball like one). Tonight, he dominated the boards and every turning twisting finger roll he shot went in. The team also didn't melt under excellent pressure put on by their opponents, and above all, they gathered themselves defensively to get some stops. I've always been a defense first kind of guy, so I liked that. However, the game is always easier when the ball goes in the basket and some incredible shots fell tonight. As I sat there, I remembered all the senior nights I experienced in thirty years of coaching. It's always good to see proud parents beaming, good kids smiling, and lasting memories being forged in moments of pure truth. It put the old goose bumps right back on my arms. So it seems that no matter where people live in this great country, life is good, especially today.


 It looks like the desert life is treating Margo and Roger pretty well.
 This sign tells you all you need to know about the Horny Toad.
Well maybe not. This sign speaks volumes as well.
Art shot of the day: Part of the fence around the patio area of the Horny Toad.
 Russ and Kathleen Isaac, originally from Garden City, Kansas. Now full time residents of Phoenix as well as full time proud  grandparents.
 Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and warm bread. Ciao Italy!
 Rich bolognese sauce over spaghettini. It was such thin gruel, it made me think if Deb Drouin.
 Larger than life cardboard cutout of Xavier. 
 A couple of rowdy fans at the game (Security was called).

 Xavier's dad cheering, or possibly questioning a call (Dad's all over have excellent eyesight).
 The Centennial Coyote's were underdogs, so the fans stormed the court to celebrate the victory.
 Proud grandpa and grandson. It doesn't get any better than this. 
 Mom (Amy), son (Xavier) and cousin (Paige). Rumor has it that Xavier and Paige are so close, he calls her the little sister he never wanted. Obviously, love has itself tucked neatly inside this young man's cheek.
Paige, an eighth grader and skilled hooper, will now carry on the family excellence. She might even say, "What was the name of that big brother, I never had?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment