Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Adventure 123: Desert Shadows RV Resort/Post C

Not a bad selfie.
The late Jim Valvano gave a now famous speech at the ESPYS just before he died of cancer. During that speech he said that a person should do three things every day. First, a person should laugh, the kind of laugh that makes the belly rumble, the eyes water, and the jowls ache. Second, a person should think, the kind of thoughts that give witness to wonder, that express kindness to others, and that embody dreams. Finally, a person should cry, the kind of tears drawn by tenderness, whetted by mystery, and born of sorrow. Jimmy said, "Laugh, think, and cry. Now that's a full day." I lived a full day today, just not in Jimmy V's order. First, I cried when my brother, Tom, called with the news that our sister, Sandra had passed. Sandra has lived the past couple of years battling the harsh reality of thrice weekly dialysis brought on by diabetes. It finally took it's toll as she rode the transit to her treatment. I don't know the details, but I imagine some heart failure or stroke event. I cried not only for the loss of a sister, but no one deserves to die on the bus. My hope is that she is in a place where pain of any kind does not exist. She deserves that. Second, I thought long and hard about the form (Tai Chi) as I watched David Block teach another class. I've been blessed this past few days to be in the presence of a master who has challenged my reality. If that doesn't make a person think, I don't know what will. I also thought about God's plan, about how little control I have, and about just what my role should be. I wish it could be as easy as "You just tell me what to think, and I'll start thinking it immediately." Not so (At least for me). Finally, I laughed. We had dinner with my niece, Tina (Mom to be), and her husband Will. We told a few stories, shared a fine meal, and I found myself smiling (Belly rumbling style) at the thought that here these kids are on the other side of life's circle. They're creating a new life (The baby's due May 9). It just goes to show that life is good, especially today.

 
 Like Tucson, Phoenix is a bicycle friendly place that has planned for riders. Excellent.

 This canal trail runs for nearly twenty miles north/south through Phoenix. We rode ten miles and Hansel and Greteled it back for a total of twenty.
 It's hard to imagine this arroyo full of water.
 The Bunny checking the map.
 She said we should follow this arrow.
 What are the chances of passing a street named after my late sister.
 Master Block's Dojo.
 It's a multi use building that serves as a place for study of several types of martial art.

 Before we began practicing Tai Chi, Master Block was teaching weapons. In this picture, he is taking his students through a set of broad sword.
In this set, the students are working with the cane.
Will and Tina took us to their favorite gourmet pizza cafe. We ate the whole thing!

 These soon to be parents look happy, and really, what better joy is there than our children (Let me laugh, think, and cry)?

No comments:

Post a Comment