Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Adventure 683: Lost Dutchman State Park/Post B

We heard the pitter patter of rain on the roof this morning. It turned out to be less than a hundredth of an inch, and by the time we finished our breakfast, the blue sparkle of sunlight met the day. So we decided to hunt for the Dutchman's gold. We hiked the treasure trail, a four mile round trip, that winds itself up through the base of the Superstition Mountains. We didn't find any gold, but the morning felt glorious nonetheless. My heart kept pace, rising only to 95 beats per minute at the end of the thousand foot climb. I learned that over three million dollars of gold ore has been taken from the Superstitions. Whatever's left is still there after our search. I spent most of the hike imagining where the Lost Dutchman may have hidden his legendary mine. I don't know. I do know that my imagination has served me well over the years. I've always believed that if I could conceive it, I could achieve it. Of course, there have been the ill-suited fears that have lurked in my imagination as well, but I've tried not to surrender to those false and counterproductive thoughts. I've tried not to let, as the Zen masters say, let my "monkey mind" rule me. Rather, I've always believed that my mental projection could create the future. Consider that notion for a minute. If you expect something to happen, it most often does. And if that's true, the only logical conclusion is that it's downright stupid and self-destructive to keep infecting your imagination with pictures of loss and failure, doom and gloom, fear and loathing. The far more sensible approach is to expect blessings. On that note, life is good, especially today.

The desert, freshened a bit by the rain.
Somewhere, according to the legend, there's gold in them hills.
My bunny looks like and eager prospector.
Selfie of the day.
Maybe the coyotes know where the gold is.


The treasure trail split the gap at the base of the mountain.
At day's end, another glorious gift set in the West.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment