Thursday, January 20, 2022

Adventure 685: Lost Dutchman State Park/Post D

One of our favorite activities on these adventures is to explore the hiking trails wherever we are. Lost Dutchman has ten trails within the park. Today we ventured up Siphon Draw, a four mile round trip that winds into a canyon. Elevation gained:1000 ft. We decided not to leave the park and follow the unmaintained portion of the trail that reaches the top of a mesa called Flat Iron. Elevation gain: Another 2000 ft. My cardiologist, who sometimes goes by the moniker "Wiley Cager", advised against it. Nonetheless, the view from where we turned around was gift enough for the day. It's not that we quit walking for the day. Our new strategy is to take shorter walks more often. So today's hiking totaled out at 8.9 miles, and I had a heart beat the entire way. In cribbage news, I skunked the Cager this morning, but more amazing is during our noon game she opened with a hand of 26, followed that with a 20, and that with a 16. I was very nearly in danger of a rebuttal skunk until the fortunes of clean living blessed me with a stunning comeback. I still lost, but just by five which totals out to "Buddy can you lend me a dime?" At this point I'm leading by $1.20 in the January challenge. If you listen you can hear the Wiley Cager howling like a desert coyote. 

It's also come to my attention by the fashion police that my sun glasses make me look like grandpa. I tried to remind those well meaning commentators that I am indeed a grandpa; however, it's a point well taken. I've been using the sunglasses they gave me after my cataract surgery (If that doesn't scream grandpa, I don't know what does). For the last many years I've had photo gray lenses in my glasses that turn dark in the sun so I haven't had to think about sunglasses. It seems I need to invest in a more stylish pair. On another note, even though it may seem that I own only one suit of clothes, I can assure you that I have several of the same type. I only have two Zag sweatshirts with me, but I wear one often, and I truly enjoy yelping, "Go Zags" whenever people comment onGonzaga. So let it be known. New glasses and new clothes will be the new watchword. In the meantime, let it also be known that life is good, especially today. and as a P.S. Go Zags!


Just two thousand more feet to the Flat Iron. 

Let's go. We can make it.
Take it easy, buster.
This is called a Teddy Bear cholla, but I wouldn't advise trying to snuggle up to it. Often, small pieces of the cholla are on the ground around a plant. The small pieces are attracted to static electricity. They latch themselves on to nearby legs. I haven't experienced it yet, but people say it takes pliers to remove them. Heck of a way to propagate yourself is what I say.
The view from the mouth of the canyon called Siphon Draw.
Who are you calling Grandpa? 


Peace shot of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment