Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Adventure 690: Lost Dutchman State Park/Post I

Buddhist teacher Thich Nhat Hanh died on January 22 at the age of 95. May his pure love inspire us. Though there are many more just as profound, these two quotes are worth considering.

The seed of suffering in you may be strong, but don't wait until you have no more suffering before you allow yourself to be happy.

My actions are my only true belongings.

I think composer and organ player, Ethel Smyth approached her life in a way similar to Thich Nhat Hanh. In an interview she said this was her nightly prayer:

Tomorrow I will be easy, strong, quick, supple, accurate, dashing and self-controlled all at once.

Some say that if we believe it we can achieve it. I find that to be true. Today, we believed we could drive into Apache Junction to do the wash. We achieved it. Just kidding. It's true this was housekeeping day, but after we got back from doing laundry and buying groceries, we took a hike on our favorite trail in Lost Dutchman: Quail Loop. We love it because it is a section of terrain that is literally over run with vegetation. I can't think of a more majestic plant in the desert than the saguaro, and surely they provide a fine example of resilience against all odds, which brings us to my prayer for all of us: be resilient, be supple, be dashing, be happy in the face of suffering because life is good, especially today.

The barrel cactus always grows toward the Southwest. Good to know if you're lost in the desert.
The Quail Loop is in the Northwest corner of the park. It houses the thickest and richest variety of flora and fauna found in the park.
Although I'm not a mountain bike rider, the 1.8 mile mountain bike loop is excellent even for superior riders.

Along with Fric, nearly every car in front of the laundromat had an out of state license plate. Wash day for all of us, I guess.
I was surrounded by saguaros in every direction.
Selfie of the day.
This part of the park is also filled with all varieties of cholla. They literally glitter in the sunlight.
Peace shot of the day: Be strong, be supple, be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment