Friday, January 26, 2018

Adventure 430: The Story of George, 7

January 26, 2018
Real time continues to be a roller coaster. We had our grand daughters over for an overnighter last night, so we didn't check on George until mid morning. He was still asleep at ten-thirty when we arrived. He got up easily, but he wasn't hungry. He did take his pills and drank a bit of protein water. We continued on to Tai Chi with the old folks. Dad sat and watched. He ate lunch, and we'll make our final check for the day after dinner.

The following excerpt is from the memory banks of my sister, Judy, who is following The Story of George from her home in Uji City, Japan. Maybe my brother, Tom, has some input as to summer visits.

As for our summer visits to see Dad and Margaret. I believe I was in second or third grade at the time. The only group visitations I can remember ended in disaster.  We were staying with them at their place in the orchards.  Across the street was the man with the horses Ely ????  (a lawyer, if I remember right).  That summer the four of us were left to our own devices during the day while Dad and Margaret were at work.  I remember the incident where the wind was up and someone (brothers I think) decided to put up the table umbrella, only to be caught in the wind and blown over.  The neighbour lady was on the watch and reported all to Margaret that evening and we were all in trouble.  

During that same visit, the plug in the bathroom went missing and was found in the basement under the stairs near the empty beer bottles.  I remember us four lined up in the basement looking at the place where "the lost plug" was found and Dad yelling at us, with Margaret in the background arms folded over her chest scowling.  Dad was demanding to know who threw the plug there.  

In the end, I was the one who was blamed and in honesty to this day, have no knowledge of doing this misdeed.  After that time, I believe we visited separately.  Sandy and I and then you and Tom.  Sandy and I stayed with Gramma most of the time, and on the weekend when Dad was off, we would spend time with him, but not much time with Margaret.  I feel that Gramma stepped in and was a wall of protection between us and Margaret when we were young.

No comments:

Post a Comment