Thursday, January 25, 2018

Adventure 429: The Story of George, 6

 In real time George is getting so consistently up and at 'em that this recording may become suspended for the time being. He's been up, alert, and active in the last three days. Our measures are: he's dressed, his bed is made, and he's taken his pills. In addition, it appears as if his energy and sense of humor have returned a little bit.


January 25, 2018
As an absent Dad, George didn't do some of the "take me out to the ball game" kinds of things that many dads did, but he did watch me play basketball a few times while I was playing for the University of Portland. After graduating from high school, I was accepted to University of Portland. The plan I was going to live with Dad and Margaret. At the time, they were in a house in North Portland just a few blocks from campus. I had been a varsity basketball player in high school, but even as a frequent starter, no college coach was looking to recruit me. I loved the game, so I decided to walk on, and since it was a risk anyway, I decided to be aggressive. I was always a tough, smart defender who didn't mind getting his cheeks bruised, but in high school my job was to bring the ball up, initiate the offense, and set up our scorers. My senior year, the first and third leading scorers in the league played on our team. Once I passed it, I didn't see it much after that. I shot the ball 52 times my senior year. I made 46 of the attempts. Mostly, the only time I got to shoot was a lay up after I stole the ball from my opponent. Anyway, when I walked on, I decided to become a scorer as well as a passer. I not only made the team, but by the third game I was starting. I averaged 10.5 pts.; 3 assists and 3 three steals per game. I was also third on the team in offensive rebounds. I played just the one year; at game ten, our coach died of a heart attack one morning. The new coach brought in six really good players the next year. The plain truth is that I wasn't quite good enough to play with those guys. But one game during my glory year George came to see me play. I was a self-made shooter. I practiced often, and when I shot it I expected the ball to go through the rim. This game that Gorge watch, I shot the best I've ever shot in a game. It must have been the extra emotion. It was strange to see dad sitting there behind our bench. I made 14-15 baskets for 28 pts. Most of my shots came  from beyond the three point line, which didn't exist at the time. If the rule had been in place, I would have scored 42. Either way, it was a lifetime best, and one of the few times George was there to see me play. I played just that one year of college basketball. Of all the games and practices, that one night stands out, not just because we upset Santa Clara (61-60) who was nationally ranked at the time, but mostly because I took the chance to impress my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment