Thursday, January 11, 2018

Adventure 416: Fracless Day Six

Zen Meditation of the Day
As parents we're usually proud as peacocks of our children, and today we're proud of the whole ostentation. Yesterday and today, Steve and Leticia really stepped up to help Grandpa George who was in full war regalia against the injustices caused by dementia, the medical profession, lack of hearing, and whatever other angst he could drum up. It took both kids to calm him, a very reasonable doctor to understand him, and the miracle of instant communication to resolve his situation. Still, Judy and I were helpless, and we're grateful our competent children stepped up to the challenge. My Dad, George, has a serious stubborn streak and a history of bad experiences with the medical profession. Add to that his advanced dementia, and you have what some would call, a "shit show". The good news is that Dr. Huang agreed with me over the phone that the best course of action was to get Dad back to his normal surroundings.  All is good now. He's home, calm, and on the return to his own good life.  Judy and I made the decision to continue on with ours, which is to winter in Phoenix. It seems good so far, but we've always realized our plans could change as life dictates. We make decisions as needed. So, today we continued Southward, and once again were blessed with traveling mercies. We left Park City about 8:30 A.M and got to St. George about 2 P.M. After we passed Provo, Utah, the roads were bare and dry, the sky was blue and welcoming, and our spirits bounced like a worn stylus on a warped record as we processed the information we got from Doctors, nurses, and kids. Once in St. George, we took time to wash Fric, since we've passed the likelihood of bad weather. We're now ready to head for the warmth of the sun for as long as we get to enjoy it. Tomorrow we head to Tucson to spend the weekend with our friends, the Krals, and Monday we'll head to Phoenix to check into our little casita. In the meantime, I've had some time to reflect on the idea that "men turn into their fathers". For me, the closeness of my father makes that a running reality show. It takes my mind to mortality,, to inevitability, and to certainty. I'm certain that I'm seeing the future; I just don't know when it will arrive. My partner and friend, Dave Ulmen, is currently living with uncertainty. The two of us share many traits, and one of them is we enjoy control. It's hard for us to come to grips that control is merely an illusion. For me, I try to accept life as it comes, and what's more, enjoy both the joy and the sorrow. When Dave and I last talked, I thought he's put himself into a place of acceptance. Regardless, in order not to give our lives over, we must wring every last moment we can out of the good life, even if we have to twist the neck off the sucker. You all know the drill: Relax. If that doesn't work. Relax harder. But always remember, we are important, and our good life is important, especially today.

Boot Camp report: No alcohol; gas pedal exercise; healthy food choices


 Good bye for now to the Park City/Priest Lake Moose.
 Good bye for now to the Park City nature reserve.
 Good bye for now to my poor losing streak cousin. Thanks for the good time.

 Good bye to the cold drizzle of Old Man Winter.
 Hello sunshine.
 Hey, Bunny. Where are your shades? Time to shed that sweatshirt!

 Our St. George AirBandB. Functional.
 Good bye road salt, road grim, and winter memories.
 Hello Jet Stream and clear blue sky.


 I like the look of snow in the distance.
 I even like it a little closer.
 I really like it as I drive away from it.

Fric, all clean and shiny, ready to show himself in the Valley of the Sun. Whoo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment