Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Adventure 387: Page, AZ/Post A

It ain't much, but it's home for 2 nights.
What a wonderful stay we had in Flagstaff! Neither Judy nor I could put our finger on it, but both of us felt warm and fuzzy about the place. Our drive this morning took us from the fresh pine air of the Northern Arizona mountains down four thousand feet onto the edge of our great Grand Canyon. We wobbled through the heaving roads within the boundaries of the reservation, and soon we arrived in Page. Our RV Park, a former KOA, suits our purposes nicely, even though it's not scenic. We're here mostly to tour Antelope Canyon, which we'll do in the morning. From the pictures I've seen of the place, it's a sight not to be missed. We took in another very popular natural wonder this afternoon. Horse Shoe Bend is just that, and it's quite death defying to think a person can edge him or herself right to the brink of a  thousand foot not so instant death drop. If a person fell, he or she would have about six or seven seconds of dreaded panic induced by a life full (or not so full) of regrets before crashing into something bone crushing. At any rate, even a rock tossed over the side wouldn't hit something hard for nearly a thousand feet. It's an awesome spectacle that makes me a little nervous. I edged myself close enough to get a picture, but I didn't really have faith in Mother Earth's terra firma. I mean sandstone is as weak and shifty as our current leadership. Speaking of shifty, I can hardly wait until the Thursday vote on Trump Care when I predict our self-serving republican  hired hands will roll over like slobbering dogs eager for a treat (i.e. re-election). I hope I'm wrong, and maybe the best thing for my blood pressure would be to avoid the news feeds I read. Sadly, I'm not smart enough to acquiesce to that. It's a life long habit of mine to attempt to know where the rocks are before I jump into the lake. The scary part of the current life I lead is that what I used to call a rock that looks like a rock, feels like a rock, and hurts like a thrown rock, may not be.  I mean I've got people telling me, "That's no rock, it's a pumpkin!" It's a lot like standing on sandstone on the edge of a cliff thinking that gravity doesn't apply to me. Except, I KNOW i can't fly, and I also know that regardless of the shifting  machinations of those around me, my word is good, my heart is true, and my life is good, especially today.
 This front rolled in as we left Flagstaff. Snow is predicted in the next two days.
 Out of the mountains and into the canyons.

 This is the view from our front window.
 Site #48 in Page, AZ
 Right now, the creosote bushes are a vibrant green.
 One more inch and off I go.
 This horseshoe bend is an astounding example of Mother Nature's patience and power.
 Late afternoon light. Nothing better than to watch nature turn its pages on the canyon walls.
My "Hiker Babe" was a little sore today, so I had to administer some leg "thumping" massage treatment. I must tell you, those seventy year old thighs are ROCK hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment