Friday, March 17, 2017

Adventure 383: Flagstaff, AZ/KOA/Post A

America! The land of Dreams.
One of my longstanding dreams almost came true today. I would have traded Fric and Frac straight across for this magnificent 1953 jet black two door Eldorado Cadillac we passed on Highway 17, if he only would have looked over when Judy was making her offer. I didn't see everything, but he didn't even look our way (And I'm positive he doesn't know what he's missing). He had his elbow perched on the door jam of his open window, his eyes hidden behind his shades, oblivious to the desert heat, and he looked cooler than Elvis in his prime. I couldn't risk a prolonged look over. I have no doubt that his nifty crew cut had a little dab of Brylcreem in it, just enough for sheen and body. Even over the roar of freeway traffic, I could hear the comforting roar of that Detroit V-8. I was so dizzy with envy, I almost had to pull over to gather my senses. I felt like one of the hunka-hunka love's groupies. I mean I almost swooned. When we got to Flagstaff, I literally spent fifteen minutes cleaning the drool off the steering wheel. If I ever own a 1953 Cadillac, I'm going to take my best girl on a road trip to every iconic place in America. We'll find restored roadside motels, eat in diners, and she'll snuggle right up next to me on that soft and comfortable bench seat. She'll wear cashmere sweaters, a sheer scarf, and stylishly pointed movie star shades. I'll have folds in my shirt, a neat fold in my jeans, and I might have to answer one of those hair growing ads (I might even resort to plugs) so I can really live the part. What a great country. I hope it stays that way; but for dreamers, there's no better place. Anything believed can be achieved. After our dream sighting, we settled in with half of Phoenix who all seemed to be escaping the heat. Highway 17 was exceptionally busy all the way to Flagstaff, but boy is this place worth it. We've been traveling for so long among the sage brush, jack rabbits, cactus, and sand that we almost forgot how delightful pure, clean mountain air is. At 7,000 ft, this place qualifies. We've not stayed in a KOA campground since my son Steve and I road our tandem across country in 1995, and while this place didn't have great reviews, it suits our tastes perfectly. In addition, there is a great road riding route we're planning on checking out tomorrow before the Zags come on in their game against Northwestern. We'll probably become Catholics Sunday morning, which won't be hard for me since I was baptized Catholic in 1951. We'll have all day Monday to explore the area, so there will be more than our first impression to report later. In the meantime, life is good, especially today.

 When we got close, Judy made her offer, but I had to keep my eyes on the road.
 Impressive mountains mark the entry to Flagstaff.
 I think they're called the San Fransico's.

 Frac snugged in nicely in site #192.
 The view from out our front window.
Before we leave, we'll hike the 2.5 mile trail up to the lookout. The view from there should be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment