Sunday, March 12, 2017

Adventure 378: Tucson, Arizona/Kral RV Park/Post B

The path is really quite straight.
It's Sunday so hear the word of the Lord (Heb. 4 14-16) "Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." I must confess that when I observe the brokenness of this world which includes the disingenuous nature of our political leaders, the obvious suffering of the under privileged, the waves of inescapable suffering of the unfortunate, and the inequity of life worldwide, I have trouble accepting the notion that my Lord is sending these waves of suffering in a way that will improve the human condition. That's why the message that Pastor Jeff delivered today on Psalm 42 struck me as poignant. His message boiled down to this: learn to suffer well. He explained that the Psalmist was in the midst of a great human trial, not unlike the trials many of us have suffered. He had five observations, all of which gave me pause. Faithful readers may remember that God (Who's busier than a one armed band director bringing my sad soul into His fold) reminded me that my meager understanding as a human isn't quite ready to discern the subtlety of His mind, and what's more, my main job is to surrender to His direction. OK. Fast forward to today. The Psalmist, in the midst of wailing torment: Where are you, God? My pain is constant. Why the insult? Where is the relief? The answer is so simple, yet so profound. Bad times and suffering are not made of the Devil, nor are they the whim of Mother Nature, nor are they the result of any set of life circumstance. No! In every case the waves are made of the Lord; they are part of God's plan, and here are Pastor Jeff's observations. When in the midst of doubt, or in moments of great pain, or in moments of despair, do the following: 1) Reach for God himself because he is all we have. 2) Remember God's promises because they are unfailing. 3) Rest in God's sovereignty because He is the Alpha and the Omega. 4) Rehearse God's promise because most human suffering is the result of listening to one's self rather than talking to one's self. 5) Run to God's Son because He's worth it. All of this is quite amazing to me because I am filled with doubt. I struggle to understand the devious, the vicious, and the cruel. I find the capricious nature of the world very disturbing, and most of all, I'm confused as to what possible vagary makes my life so pleasant. It most certainly hasn't been earned or deserved. So, a message such as this (Just a continuation of God working on me) helps me because it gives a clear answer for my confusion. I simply must know God and accept the joy of His resurrection.  So, naturally when the lyrics of the sending song included the words..."be still my soul", I must took heed and simply, gratefully, and humbly accept that life is good, especially today.
 Even a broken vessel offers the hope of reconcialtion.
 Look for small beauties.
 Accept all prickly situations.
 Let the light shine through.
 Look to the heavens. Ride the promise.
 Stand straight in spite of a crooked trail.
 Find the center.
 And finally, glow, bathed as we are in waves of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment