Sunday, June 30, 2024

Adventure 923: A View from the Perch-Little Eden Camp-Homeward Bound/36

Many lament, as I did yesterday, the division facing our nation. Today, I'll offer another side of the tetrahedron, positing that perhaps it's ever been so in America. As we drove across the plains today, we listened to a portion of the book Undaunted Courage. While I don't really qualify as a member of the landed gentry of Virginia, or the high minded elites that forged our country, I can identify somewhat because I personally hold in one hand the lofty goals of righteous living. In the other I often succumb to the temptation of the seven deadly sins. Forever split; forever trying to balance. Thomas Jefferson was a man of such conflicts. Although he abhorred  the idea of slavery, he lived the practicality of owning many. He hoped the "next' generation would reach the righteous goal of equality among all men. As a member of the gentry, he lived in no such lofty space. But he was indeed lofty. When he was elected President, there was a tie. The Federalists of the day questioned the legitimacy of the election (sounds familiar). It went to Congress, still tied, until Alexander Hamilton led a group that broke the tie. Even then, the Federalists, led by Aaron Burr found themselves on the wrong side of history. Even more so when Jefferson made arguably the greatest American deal ever with the Louisiana purchase, the Federalists objected. Some said it was folly because the country had little money and more land already than we could manage. I found myself thinking as I listened to the intertwined notion of character building (Lewis) and nation building (Jefferson) that our country has lived on the razor's edge since the beginning. And we've had great leaders. Judy and I decided to take a side trip today into the badlands of North Dakota in Teddy Roosevelt's National Park. Talk about a great leader (With warts of course). I also found myself questioning where Trump gets this idea that America is going to perdition. All I see is people living their lives freely. I see no victims. All I see is freeways filled with trucks moving commerce, people going places, and evidence of infrastructure being rebuilt and maintained. Though suffering exists, so does industry, prosperity, and opportunity.  Every restaurant we enter is bustling. Every shelf in every market is full of goods. Every family I see hugs their infants and nurtures their toddlers. I saw cars and vans full of families standing in awe at the viewpoint overlooking the little Missouri. All seemed grateful to be there, and it seems to me that despite hardship life is good, especially today.

We traveled into the Badlands, thinking of events and people that made America great

Everywhere we go, we marvel at the geological wonders.

One such wonder is Judy getting to drive.

The North entrance of Teddy Roosevelt National Park includes a scenic drive through some amazing rock formations. Not to be outdone is God's sky above.

All over America there are signs of resilience and great leadership. Here's another example of CCC construction during and just after the great depression.


Sacrifices must be made. They're just as real as compromise and contradiction.


Willie says, "Blue sky, nothing but blue sky do I see."


Just imagine the cattle drives along the little Missouri river. Westward Ho!


Or imagine the time line that created these layers. God's time.



Maybe someday, we'll be remnants of a bygone era, just like this fella. Who knows?



No comments:

Post a Comment