Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas Letter 2013

Christmas Letter 2013

Dear Family and Friends,

Our kids and grandkids are living their dreams. Judy and I are on the road living ours. For us, life is good, especially today. These poems capture much of what we feel this year. We pray you and yours are also doing well.

In the Bleak Midwinter
by Christina Rossetti

In the bleak mid-winter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak mid-winter
Long ago.

For many, Christmas time is bleak indeed. Many souls are joyless; many hearts are heavy; many live in fear; for many hope is lost.

Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him
Nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away
When He comes to reign:
In the bleak mid-winter
A stable-place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty,
Jesus Christ.

In Matthew 1:20 the angel said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.” I, myself, have spent much time worrying, but not Joseph, son of David. All he did was trust, accept, and follow. it was enough for him.

Enough for Him, whom cherubim
Worship night and day,
A breastful of milk
And a mangerful of hay;
Enough for Him, whom angels
Fall down before,
The ox and ass and camel
Which adore.

God became flesh and the flesh became the word. Lord, how we adore thee.

Angels and archangels
May have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim
Thronged the air,
But only His mother
In her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the Beloved
With a kiss.

What better gift can there be than a mother’s kiss?

What can I give Him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man
I would do my part,
Yet what can I give Him,
Give my heart.

In my heart, would that I were like Joseph.



Little Tree
by e.e. cummings

LITTLE tree
little silent Christmas tree
you are so little
you are more like a flower
who found you in the green forest
and were you very sorry to come away?
see i will comfort you
because you smell so sweetly
i will kiss your cool bark
and hug you safe and tight
just as your mother would,
only don't be afraid
look the spangles
that sleep all the year in a dark box
dreaming of being taken out and allowed to shine,
the balls the chains red and gold the fluffy threads,
put up your little arms
and i'll give them all to you to hold
every finger shall have its ring
and there won't be a single place dark or unhappy
then when you're quite dressed
you'll stand in the window for everyone to see
and how they'll stare!
oh but you'll be very proud
and my little sister and i will take hands
and looking up at our beautiful tree
we'll dance and sing
"Noel Noel"


Be not sorry to bring yourselves out of the dark, dare to shine, lift your arms, dance and sing, for Christmas celebrates the promised birth of the King of Kings.

Merry Christmas! Fric (Tim) and Frac (Judy)

No comments:

Post a Comment