Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Adventure 74: Hill Country RV Resort/Post G

Remember the Alamo!
As per what has become our normal schedule: Judy up at 5:30 for quiet time. Me up at 7:30 for coffee and the form. Then we eat oatmeal (Today with Toast!). We hit I-35 for the thirty-five mile jaunt into San Antonio at about 9:30. The freeway was full but the flow was smooth, and the Hunny Bunny navigated us flawlessly. Like the rest of the tourists, we parked near the Alamo  plaza, only this time it was Wednesday morning, so we had the place virtually to ourselves (Thanks for the tip, Douglas). The Alamo shrine is impressive; many brave men died for what they believed in during the siege. The grounds belie a certain peace today that certainly wasn't present during the action. Downtown San Antonio is geared for tourists, so we followed the signs, but again, our stroll along the River Walk was peaceful considering the perfect weather, the non existent crowds, and friendly Texans greeting us with, "How Y' all doing today?" We're doing really good, thank you. Up on the surface we toured the San Fernando Cathedral, which is a large jewel in the string of Spanish missions in Texas and beyond. I knelt in front of the golden sanctuary and prayed for a few of my special intentions. I vaguely remember something Jim Morrison claimed in the late sixties: "You can't petition the Lord with prayer." I didn't believe it then, and who knows? After all, He's answered me before. As usual, the highlight of our day was food. We asked the Urban Spoon for the best BBQ in San Antonio. It responded with Rudy's, but even though we liked Rudy's, we went for number two on the list: Mr. J's. One review said, "If you want ambience, a view, and if you don't like scary neighborhoods, then Mr. J's is not for you. But if you like really good BBQ, come on over." We headed right across the tracks to Mr. J's. It had beans as good as Wright's, it's vinegar sauce was slightly sweeter than we've had, the brisket was excellent, and the ribs ('Fresh out the smoker') were to die for, to cite an all too real possibility. Later, I BBQd my own chicken thighs and we ate outside under the colored lights for the first time on this trip. Tomorrow, we're changing gears and heading out to the countryside to a place called Potter's Creek Campground. It's a first come first serve Core of Engineers campground on the north side Canyon Lake, so we hope there will be room in the inn. Finally, on a tournament note, I've been battered like soft metal. I've got dents on my dents, and I might be able to be used as a kettle drum, except that the only sound I can make is Ow!  The Hunny Bunny, or wily cager, pinged me repeatedly and won the New Braunfels Open 9-4. I made one feeble comeback, but she skunked me for the third time in two days to pound in the final crinkle. Who knew she could play the bongos? But not too worry, I will return, and I still hold a slim lead in the overall:10-9. Stay tuned because I may be down, but Life is still good, especially today.

 Buccolic scene: The Daughters of the Revolution Library

 This live oak was transplanted when it was forty years old in 1912. Emily, Sawyer-How old is the tree now? 
 San Fernando Cathedral: The remains of the Alamo heroes are interred here.
 Even though this shot is blurry, the gold plated altar is impressive.
 The River Walk is really quite pleasant in the daytime. The last time we were here, it was  a summer night and the place was jam packed.
 I don't know, I just like circles.
 The photo rendered sharper than the sign really looks.
 Mr. J's
Across the street to the right: Why do think they call it DOPE?
 Directly across the street: It could be that Mary and Bobby's is a really hot joint.
 Mr. J with a fresh slab of ribs. He says he's been in business for sixteen years.
 That's a BBQ eating grin on her face.
Ribs, brisket, beans, and slaw-Oh, my!
 The outside dining experience at Frac.
 Talk about ambience!
 Life is just a stream. 

1 comment: