Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Adventure 331: Catalina State Park/Post M

Not really a little thing.
In the interest of mental health (And according to Sean Spicer, to quit perpetrating a negative and demoralizing narrative), Judy strongly suggested that I quite blowing my TRUMPet. I will try to acquiesce. In that light, we decided to spend the day inspiring ourselves. We started with a fabulous romp through a private botanical gardens called Tohono Chul Park. The fifty acre garden used to be a citrus orchard in the thirties. Now it's a maze of well maintained paths, tiny gardens, secret hide aways, and not a small amount of metal sculptures. It made me want to buy a desert lot and begin building a winter home today. Quite well signed, we were able to read the names of many of the desert plants we've been seeing in the wild. We entered small gardens flush with water pools, fountains, plants, shared seating areas, and tangible peace. The shade wasn't necessary today as it barely reached sixty degrees. The gardens also houses a gift shop, a greenhouse, and a bistro. We didn't eat there because we also felt inspired to follow the recommendation of Miss Kate and Scott Kempf's, who raved about the Cafe Poca Cosa in downtown Tucson. I've always believed that it is dangerous to assume because to do so often makes and ASS out of U and ME. But, I let my guard down a little, and assumed a recommendation by my earth loving niece and nephew-in-law would find me faced with servers with hairy armpits, plates full of fresh greens, herb teas, and the smell of Mexican granola. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I very seldom feel under dressed, but my Gonzaga sweatshirt, cargo shorts, and hot chili pepper crocs left me underwhelmed among the tight black skirts with full zippered backs worn by the wait staff. I rarely wear make up, but the ruby red lips and perfectly powdered cheeks of the ladies belied a certain hidden disdain (Their pleasant smiles gave nothing away). I couldn't move quickly enough to slink into my seat.  Two days ago we ate at a taco truck called the Aqui Nene. Our total bill didn't cover Judy's Sangria and my shot of Milagro Reserve Tequila. Our lunch bill including tip amounted to $80.00. IT WAS FABULOUS! Our waitress, a very tall, quite attractive lady near fifty whose understated jewelry enhanced her natural beauty was very attentive and ostensibly oblivious to our attire (I guess money spends in any clothes). In this new United States of Irony, I couldn't help but laugh at how wrong my expectations were. But thanks anyway, Kate and Scott. It still remains the inspirational highlight of our day. We feel lucky to experience the life we live. We're always willing to be surprised, and grateful for any and all suggestions. It make us smile, realizing that life is good, especially today.


 Just out of sight were a couple of wheel less cars up on blocks.

 This fan topped Saguaro is as majestic as it is venerable.
 OK, one alternative fact: The Disney Cactus.
 Forty acres of reclaimed desert. Stop here if you're ever in Tucson.
 Contemplation gardens.
 Outdoor living spaces.
 Azure fountains whisking you to eternal revelry.
 Rusted sunflower sculptures.
 Potted mosaics hanging from adobe walls.
 Love etched on the sidewalk.
 Wheels of whimsy.
 Birds of Prey.
 Not your average Taco stop.
 The view as I hid slinked down behind my table.
 Really good, really expensive shot of tequila.
 Slow roasted pulled pork. Judy's plate was the house surprise.
  This babe's sweatshirt zips up the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment