Monday, January 16, 2017

Adventure 323: Catalina State Park/Post E

Peace and Love. What a concept!
The morning sun, while cool, broke through today. We took advantage to keep to our self imposed schedule. We practiced the form (22 minutes), which felt quite good today. Doing the form is, in part, an exercise in focus. It's very easy to let the "Monkey Mind" wander with interruptions. Today, I managed to stay "In the Moment" for the most part. Judy continues to improve such that she no longer distracts me as we practice together. Even if she did district me, it would be my own weakness, not hers. Before the afternoon clouds descended, we rode for ninety minutes, extending our first trip by a half hour. It felt good, though I must say, I had nothing close to Tour de France fitness or strength. At our turn around spot there was a chalk etching on the outhouse wall. It said Christina Taylor loves butterflies. Christina Taylor was one of those killed in 2011 when Gabby Gifford was shot. From all accounts, she was a bright and loving young girl. There's a memorial park connected to this trail head. I was struck by the chalk artist choosing to write about Christina's love in the present tense. It reminds me that one of the best things a human can do on a daily basis besides random acts of kindness, is to maintain a child's sense of now. There are incredible moments that pass over us either as showers or as light. Looking for the light is a good thing. Speaking of good things: I finally broke the Wiley Cager's winning streak this morning, so from my perspective all is right with the world. We'll see what tomorrow brings, but since the weatherman promised a window of sunlight, we plan to hike as far up into the mountains as our conditioning will allow. I'm eager to get a view of the desert floor from a higher vantage point. We did manage to identify a couple of local residents. They have a scientific name (Phainopepla), but folks around here call them black cardinals. They have a shrill two toned call, a fluffy crest, and searing red eyes. They feed off the mistletoe that hangs in the trees in clusters much like the dripping moss that hangs from trees in the South. We also saw a red tailed fox yesterday, who quite casually made its way through the camp ground. I guess it was gopher hunting. Regardless, it looked very healthy and confident in its natural confines. We've seen bear poop along the trails, but as yet no sign of the actual animal. This park is quickly becoming one of our favorites. It's close to civilization, but feels quite remote. At night it's quiet as a tomb, and not much city light filters in. It's likely this place will become a regular stop for us as long as we're blessed to take the Fric and Frac show on the road. In the meantime, we continue to enjoy a life that is good, especially today.
 Every ride we'll stretch ourselves out down this awesome trail.
 My favorite biker babe posing like a Saguaro.
 I think really, it's all about the socks.
 Sadly, Christina was one of six people killed in the senseless event in 2011. Though definitions change the number, between 1966 and 2012 nearly a third of the world's mass shootings took place in the U.S. There's something wrong with that picture.

 I was moved by this chalk drawing; I found myself weeping right along with the chalk trails on the words.
 Curried cauliflower for lunch. Quite scrumptious.
 The male.
 The female.
 I also spotted this moose wood in the brush.
Tomorrow, we're heading up there.

1 comment:

  1. Oh to see a Phainopepla. I envy you both. And oh to be on the way to Big Bend. One of my two favorite national parks.

    ReplyDelete