Sunday, June 19, 2016

Adventure 290: Raccoon Valley RV/Heiskell, TN

Raccoon Valley Site #18
My best buddy, Dave Ulmen, is on record of wanting to 'have it all'. Judy and I did today. We went to an uplifting church service where the preacher was dynamic (Can I hear an Amen?), the people were friendly, and the message was worthy. Later, Judy got to sing her shape notes while I managed the trailer for travel, and we made it safely to Tennessee, jockeying as it were with dogs of all sizes along the merging freeways of Southwest Virginia and Tennessee. Right now, we're tucked in nicely in site #18, and best of all, we have reception for tonight's game seven. How sweet it is. Today is Father's day, which is a day of mixed emotion day for me. I've long considered my absentee father a mere sperm donor, although through the grace of God and a willingness on my part to act on the notion that it's never too late to build a relationship, we've moved my father to an independent living situation five minutes from our home in Spokane. Over the years, I've made it a point to visit him very year because like I used to tell my students whose parents often divorced when their kids were about twelve, "You either have a relationship with you parents, or you want one". I want one. My dad is 85 years old. God willing he'll be cogent for at least another five years. Maybe more. I want those years. In addition, I've not been the father I could have been (Judy says I'm too hard on myself). The fact is, I dedicated much of my time to coaching during my teaching career. That left less time for my kids. I did participate as much as I could, but I really didn't get to 'have it all' in that sense. I do love the fact that my son has learned from my mistakes. He's the loving father of two great girls. He does things a good father should. Beyond that, I believe there is still time, so in my grandfather role, I'm swimming like a scared duck to make up for past indiscretions. In today's message at Beaver Creek Brethren Church, Marvin Wade, the pastor worked himself into a sweat convincing all of us fathers to step up to the task. He spoke of Abraham who was commanded by God to sacrifice his son Isaac. Abraham, because of his great faith, didn't hesitate. He simply took Isaac up to the mountain with him. When Isaac asked, "Father, where is the lamb to be sacrificed? Abraham replied, "The Lord will provide." And he did, and he does. I live in faith that he will provide for me as well because it bears repeating. It's never too late to come to the Father because you either have relationship with him, or you want one. That said, I'm grateful for the traveling mercies of today, and regardless who wins tonight's game (Go Warriors), life is good, especially today. Happy Father's Day!


 The kids at Beaver Creek Brethren Church handed these out to all the father's today

 It's never too late to be one super pop.

1 comment: