Monday, June 6, 2016

Adventure 277: Swamp Living/Post B

Honey, That's Good Coffee!
Things are getting pretty serious here at wedding central. Today Miss Kate had her wedding dress fitted and the final hem put in place. This morning at breakfast, I asked her what importance, if any, she placed on her wedding dress to which she replied, "It's an external covering that represents an internal change, and even though I once thought the whole idea shallow, I realize lately that it makes me feel pretty. And besides, I want to look pretty for Scott. Kate's comments fit right in with tradition. In medieval times, a bride's dress represented not just herself, but also her family, especially her family's status. Over time, the dress expressed things other than just status. In the 1920s the idea of the white dress representing purity came about, and since then the style of the dress followed whatever current fashion dictated. I like Miss Kate's symbolism of as a right of passage.
  Besides the fitting, Scott and Kate also purchased their wedding license, which stays valid for sixty days. (Long enough, I suppose for cold feet to develop-not that I expect that to happen). Judy and I got to witness joyous event. All this preening and preparation reminded me of the mating habits of the Australian Bower Bird. In our Judeo-Christian culture, the man traditionally holds the position of power and leadership in a marriage, although I suspect modern marriages tend toward a more equal partnership (I know ours does). But in the bower bird world, the females hold all the cards. Competing males flit about the forest plucking flowers, attractive twigs, tufts of soft grass, and other ornaments in order to decorate their nests. The females fly around, lending a critical eye until they choose the guy with the best looking house. So maybe Kate's fears of shallowness is simply a fact of nature. I don't know, but I do know this: she and Scott possess a depth of obvious humanity, compassionate concern, and lasting love that goes far beyond any external manifestation  They have a depth to them that offers the rest of us inspiration. It's like Jack Nicholson's character (Melvin Udall) said to Helen Hunt's character (Carol Connelly) in the movie "As Good as it Gets". "You make me want to be a better man." Watching these two makes me want to be a better husband, father, grandfather, friend...the whole gamut. It's fun to see such serious young people so eager to commit themselves hopefully, faithfully, and lovingly to a new life together. It's easy for me to believe that life will be especially good in their "nest".


 Towering love starts right here at the Fulton County Courthouse.
 The dotted line: Things are starting to get serious!
Marriage is encouraged here in Ohio.
In our travels, people often help us. I like to recognize them as "The best humans of the day". In today's case, this lovely lady (Jo) gave Scott and me directions to the courthouse. (We had ridden our bikes over from Archbold because, of course, the groom is not allowed to see the dress beforehand). Anyway, Jo was on an errand to the bank with three pretty special humans of her own in tow: Oliver and Aiden, the four year old twins, and precocious little Quinn who I assume is a younger sister. My sense is that this little one wields a power akin to a female bower bird. Thanks, Jo, for a bright meeting and taking time to help us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment