Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Adventure 285: Floyd, VA/Post A

Floyd, VA
We giggled like honeymooners when we crested the last hill into Floyd, VA. During GASBBT (Note: This was the trip my buddy Ed Drouin and I took last fall. It was supposed to be an East coast bicycle tour, but it turned into a 7,500 mile car trip instead), Ed and I discovered Floyd, I think at the suggestion of Hal and Sheri, neighbors of Ed and former residents of Virginia. We had a fabulous time listening to bluegrass music, watching flat dancing, and generally enjoying the Appalachian Mountains. I wanted to share the place with Judy, so we planned to visit here after Miss Kate's wedding. We have not been disappointed. We've got so many plans our feet will be slapping like mountain flat dancers. We'll take in a free barn dance tonight, a visit to some small mountain churches in North Carolina tomorrow, a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway on Wednesday to visit the mountain music museum, a paid concert on Thursday to see Jesse McReynolds and the Virginia Boys, the Friday night jamboree at the Floyd Country Store, a bicycle ride along the Creeper Trail (No, not the stalker type),a session of square singing on Sunday, and of course, some food. Who knows what else we'll run across this week. I hope that Scott and Kate come to enjoy being with one another as much as Judy and me. And while we live as constant honeymooners, I must tell you, it's not all roses. The anchor clanking, deck swabbing, back slipping, oyster eyed Wily Cager stooped to a new low during our morning cribbage game. First, she moved MY pegs (Who knows why? We've used the same colors for over a decade). I was glad to enjoy her largess, but I made the mistake of gazing into her pretty blue eyes just a smidgeon too long. Then it happened. She realized her error, and to recover, she moved my pegs AGAIN, but BACKWARD this time, and she randomly chose some spot well behind where I should have been. Some of you may think I'm making this stuff up, but Kel Babe can be a witness that I'm not exaggerating in my descriptions of the tricks this Cager pulls. It would have hurt way worse if I hadn't pulled out a win so soothing, it felt like salve on an open wound. Thus appeased, we began our day. Our drive was uneventful, but quite amazing, since neither of us had been across West Virginia before. Our amazement centers mostly on the significant topography change. Just two days ago we gazed upon young corn stalks standing up to the brisk breeze in perfectly flat Ohio. Today, Fric roared and grumbled as we strained up, down and around the steep, twisting terrain of West Virginia coal country, and now that we're in the hilly confines of moonshine country, we've once again been convinced that America is a truly great place.  It was a good day, although I'm not really enjoying this volume driving (311 miles) as much another might. I am enjoying the gift of being able to enjoy this hilltop paradise with my best girl. Like I've said before, "I'm the luckiest guy on the planet, which truly means that life is good, especially today." I think if you listen carefully enough tonight, you'll be able to hear me sing a rendition of "Give me Fever."
The Blue Ridge Parkway in the distance.
Our first snack at the Floyd Country Store: Savory Tarts filled with spinach, cheese, olives, and pecans.
This week the Crooked Road is in full swing with music emitting from every holler'.
Yes, sir. One of the many GREAT places in America: Floyd, VA

The view out of Frac's side window.
More 'thin gruel'. We'll have to muddle through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment