Saturday, June 4, 2016

Adventure 275: The Swamp: Wedding Central

Camping, Swamp Style.
The book of James (My favorite book in the Bible) opens, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." (James 1:2-3)
We had a joyful test, be it ever so small in the scheme of things, when we drove Fric and Frac through Chicago today. Even on Saturday morning, plenty of folks were out on the road: truckers, soccer moms, workers, other travelers like us, and even a few impatient speed merchants heading who knows where. Thankfully, we were blessed with traveling mercies, and even better, the heavy rain we encountered outside of Chicago letup as we skirted the city. Right now I'm  enjoying the tension knot in my neck along with its friend, the dull headache that the drive produced.  As a small town boy, I'm somewhat intimidated by big cities, which makes finding the joy more challenging. But joy is easy to find here in Archbold (The"Swamp"), otherwise known as wedding central. We've tucked Fric and Frac neatly in front of Kel's house (Owner and caretaker of the Swamp). We're anxiously awaiting the arrival of the soon to be weds (Scott and Kate). It will be a joyous meeting, which gets me to thinking about the joy of the actual wedding ceremony. Every couple decides what their wedding day will look like, and how it will feel. Some opt for traditional tones while others choose a more casual approach. Some people are married while sky diving, some on beaches, some behind home plate at their favorite ball park, some on top of mountains, and sure, a few choose  a church. Some write their own vows; others follow the time honored script. Whatever the choice, whatever the plan, I've got to believe the excitement, the anticipation, and the joyful celebration is born of the same spirit. I know that in my own "groom" moments, I was as jittery as an excited electron, and I couldn't wait to set the sparks flying. They started crackling the very moment I saw my bride walking toward me down the aisle. I've had two of these joyful moments (because you know I'm the luckiest guy on the planet). Anne, my first wife, who died of a brain aneurism in 1988, wore a full length white dress on our wedding day. It was made from her mother's wedding dress. She was radiant. I can still remember how it accentuated her long raven hair. Judy, my current love, was also gorgeous (I marry only beautiful women). She wore a soft pink gown that made her eyes shimmer like coral. In truth, both times I was the one shimmering, and shuddering. It makes me shiver now just to recall the moment. Here's hoping you oldly weds out there can remember the joy of your own wedding day. As for you about to be weds, bottle this joy. Tuck it away in your hearts. It will not only keep you warm, but it will remind you that life is good, especially on your wedding day.

After Chicago, we travelled through Amish country near Elkhart, Indiana. Only fools pass up a chance to eat their brand of comfort food.
Called a Small Manhattan, this is really just the best hot turkey sandwhich on white bread you can imagine.
Kelbabe, King of the Swamp, serving up fresh tortillas.
Art shot of the day: Swamp living.
The about to be weds: Scott and Kate: Surely, a reason for joy.

1 comment:

  1. Love this and the last photo of the joy in the face of the to be weds..... says it all!! Congratulations from the distant .... sort of distant related family in Japan.....

    ReplyDelete