Saturday, November 30, 2013

Adventure 56: Elk City State Park/Independence, KS

Southward Bound
After a nice morning of putzing and a leisurely breakfast, the sisters hugged with tears of joy. Rod and I shook hands, and we all hoped for a future meeting. The drive was straight forward, the weather excellent, sunny, windless, and in the mid fifties. Our only snafu all day was that a gas pump refused to give us gas. Since we were in America at a highway interchange, all we did was go across the street. (Is this country great, or what?)  Guided by our faithful GPS (Ain't big brother, great?), we found the park and a nice site down by the lake. I leveled the trailer in a lazy man gesture that I hope doesn't bite me. But we're only here for the night, so maybe it will work. The park is interesting. The reservoir is man made, the earthen dam is huge, and it appears the place is used by fishermen, hunters, and at least for now, several permanent residents. There are at least forty trailers on the property that appear to have dug in for the long haul. They have plastic skirts, insulated lines, and many have the kind of assorted stuff around that can only be built up with time. Several have a couple of cords of wood stacked outside. I'd love to know the story (I'm just curious that way), but since I'm merely a passerby, I'll just have to make up my own stories for them. Judy suggested a walk (She saw a sign that said one mile to the lookout). It ended up being about six miles before we got back, but the glorious Kansas sunset met us as we returned to Frac. We managed over 16,000 steps today, saw a couple of deer, and had a very pleasant time. One thing not so pleasant was a  slight friction rash between my thighs that was most reminiscent of my "Big Red" experience while biking across America. (I think I may have added a layer of winter fat while enjoying the hospitality of the Franz's.) No matter, we were famished after the walk, and Judy fixed us a delightful redux of Thanksgiving dinner, which we garnered from the garage buffet before we left. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, gravy, and rolls. How can life get better. Oh, yea: pumpkin pie topped with candy pumpkins. The good news just keeps on coming. The best news of the night is that Judy (the cheater)
I DO NOT CHEAT!  I'M JUST AGOOD STUDENT :)  didn't skunk me in the first game of the Elk City Open. I had to use all of my wiles and most of my card playing acumen to avoid the stripe down my back, but verily I say to you, "I live to play another day!" We had already agreed that the Elk City Open would be best of three. I'll make here sit with her eyes facing the sun tomorrow morning because those of you who know my Hunny Bunny know that there's more than meets the eye beneath her graceful Kansas manner, the mystery of which makes life good, especially today.

 Art shot of the day.
 Lazy man's leveling system.
 Walked six miles to see this view.
 Good tandem country; wish we had time to explore.


 This is the view from our living room.
 Let the games begin. 
 The Bunny hard at work. Doesn't she look stressed?
This needs a comment?

No comments:

Post a Comment