Friday, November 1, 2013

Adventure 35: Enchanted Trails RV/ Albuquerque, NM/Post B

Goat Heads! Arrgh
First, let me say that so far the Cribbage gods have flipped over to my side. I took the lead (3-2) this morning in the Enchanted Trails Open. Life is good for me so far, but no lead is safe against the Bunny. Yesterday, we road the River Trail, which was somewhat problematic because I ignored my premonition and declined buying new tires. I thought, "Heck, I can squeeze another thirty out of these Gatorskins. After all, they only have 2800 miles on them. Yea, they've flattened out a little bit, and the sidewalls are starting to fray. I'm not sure I want Bontrager tires anyway. I'll just take the map. Thanks." We got nine miles in when the first goat head flattened us. No problem. I can change a flat. On the second flat, we turned around because that's all the spare tubes we had. With about three miles left, we had to push the bike back to the trail head. It was a good stretch of the legs. We totaled fifteen miles riding and three miles walking. Today, with "Papa" newly shod with shiny gray Bontragers and puncture resistant tubes, we rode the Tramway Trail which is a nine mile trail tucked up against the Manzano mountains on the east side of Albuquerque. We stretched the ride up through a few high rent neighborhoods, and we ended the day with twenty-five. No walking. Tomorrow morning we'll ride the trail that bisects the city north to south for about another twenty-five. For lunch, I took my Hunny Bunny to the way cool Satellite Cafe. Located on Central Avenue, it's right in the midst of several gentrified shops along old Route 66. Just around the corner, Judy found some nice yarn for Libby's ear warmers. Should be a fun, quick project. I needed a break from knitting socks anyway. The highlight of the day, though, was a visit to the Ranch Market for groceries. It was the first of the month; the place was packed; we were the only people in the place dressed in spandex. In fact, we were the only non-Hispanics in the place. I didn't take photos, but if  bins full of every kind of chili pepper, slabs of lard, and pre-mixed masa don't fry your tortilla, nothing about the culture will. The Carniceria was amazing. The fifty foot counter case had everything from Tripe to Pigs feet. I muttered to myself in my Rosetta Stone Spanish, "Ya, no esta in Spokaloo, Dewie!" Which loosely translates as "Life is good, especially today."
 Forty-five degrees and sunny. Let's go Bunny!
 Herons were everywhere along the river. These two were munching lunch. 
 Who would think stickers lay in wait?
 Judy was bird talking.
 The Tramway Trail is urban cycling along the high rent district.

 Up ahead the trail ends, but the riding would be good along the highway.
 The lower garden garden of one of the haciendas.
 Map girl!
 In the lowlands, the concrete arroyos are decorated in spray paint; up here the steel silhouettes extoll an active life above the concrete runoffs.
 Downtown Albuquerque as seen from Elena Gallegos Picnic Area, which is an extension of the city's 400 miles of riding trails. It is mountain bike heaven behind us in the Pinion Trail section.
 Cool steel sculpture at the gate of the High Desert Estates. What is that--a cat burglar?
 Goatheads! They don't look so bad, but they're evil.
 We bought a pound of Satellite's Night Sky blend: May this coffee accompany you on your next adventure. Gotta love that blue sky!
 Chain up your bike and come on in for a cup of Joe.

2 comments:

  1. Good job buying the new tires! Glad it wasn't in the middle of nowhere without a well stocked bike shop!

    ReplyDelete