Saturday, November 16, 2013

Adventure 43: Have a Grateful Heart/Manhattan, KS

Lift Each Other!
In 2004, I rode my bicycle 3,220 miles from Spokane, Washington to Brooklyn, New York. One of my riding mates, Ed Drouin, noticed along the way that we were having good luck. He adopted a phrase for the trip: Serendipity. So whenever anything unexpectedly good would happen, we would count it as a Serendipitous event. Judy and I have had several of these lately. Our adventure route has taken several serendipitous twists and turns. Lately, it has manifested itself by connecting Judy with her Kansas cousins. Last night, due in large part to the organization skills of Jean Wiens (Judy's cousin), thirteen cousins met (On short notice) at the Bread Basket Cafe in Newton, KS. The best part, other than the reconnection itself, was that the event occurred without a casket present or a wedding dress bedazzling our eyes. That left the conversation open to sharing our children, our grand children, past experience, new hope, and just plain old breeze shooting. It was splendid. I even got to talk to one of the Kansas guys about what makes sail boats go fast. And again tonight, at our next stop on the serendipitous trail, we met another branch of relatives (Judy's sister, Karen, her husband Rod, their brother-in-law, Kel, and Kel's sister and brother-in-law, Tom and Jan West. Again, we met mostly (Kel sorely misses his Miss Jane) without heavy hearts, or newlywed expectation. It was refreshing to to enjoy a good dinner in the comfort of common love. For this we have grateful hearts.

Many of my new acquaintances have asked me if I miss teaching. I don't really, although after I give that curt answer, I move back through my experience to the things I do miss. While visiting Judy's sister Arlene, we took a trip into Hutchinson, KS to celebrate Wilbur's (Arlene's husband) birthday. We took in an IMAX movie at the Cosmosphere. While we were waiting for the theater to open, I noticed a field trip of middle school children, otherwise known as Bozonians (Raw recruits, completely ignorant, and in need of absolutely everything). One of the teachers was ably lining her Bozonians up to enter the theater. The energy it takes to herd middle school children around is one of the things I don't miss. One of the teen girls scampered out of line to go to the restroom. As she rounded the corner, she did a little skip-to-my-loo. It was pure childish joy, something teenagers regularly hide from the general public. I do miss that innocence, and I miss helping Bozonians make confident strides toward independence. I also miss working closely with other like minded educators, but truthfully, I'm proud to say I contributed my share. Now I'm done, and I leave the profession with a grateful heart.

On a personal note, all of this reconnecting with family has reminded me of great loss. Jack O'Brien, father of my first wife died recently. He had a significant impact on the man I have become. It is he who set the standard for me of what a father should be. Being accepted as a part of his family has long filled me with a grateful heart. A few days ago in a before meal prayer, Wilbur spoke the words, "Heavenly Father, as we move through this trail of tears, thank you for  providing the strength…" I was struck by the phrase "trail of tears". Though I've suffered, (as we all have), I look at life not as a trail of tears; instead, I say, "Life is good, especially today." I first spoke those words the night my first wife (Anne) died, and I believe them because I believe the thoughts in the Book of James, which say (paraphrased), have a grateful heart regardless of what comes down the pike. So, if I've learned anything lately by way of serendipity, it is as my friend (sister), Liz Ulmen says, "Wag more; bark less." To this I add, have a grateful heart for Life is good, especially today.

 A whole passel of Friesen cousins shooting the breeze and filling their baskets.
The basket buffet: Vrinika and ham and sausage, Oh My!
 I was greatly full of Coconut Cream Pie. 
Frac in front of the Franz family home. For this campsite (two weeks!), he is truly grateful.
 Frac's hosts: Rod and Karen Franz. (Go Wildcats!)


 Tom and Jan West. (Go Jayhawks!) James would say be grateful for differences.
 The Kansas motto: To the Stars through Difficulty. At this restaurant, it's just, To the Stars
 Kelvin Friesen (Kel Babe) uttering something about, "It's all the same day, man!"
 Deep fried dill pickles: a gourmet treat in Strong City, Kansas.
 Thin sliced, deep fried potatoes: Nachos, Ad Astra style. Yummy!
 Kansas City Strip-fork tender, mashed potaotes, and pan fried brussel sprouts. WOW!

 The Tin Man's heart is forever grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Life is good, and especially today!! So true!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful seeing you and Judy, and Rod and Karen. Another great post, Tim-o!

    ReplyDelete