Saturday, October 27, 2018

Adventure 509: From Challis to the Barn

Too True.
We made our way from Ely, Nevada across the wide expanse of nothingness called Northeast Nevada. Surprisingly, some strong wills, strong minds, tough skins, and solid hopes fill the folks who work ranches along the way. I always wonder what makes people settle in one place rather than another. I ask myself: How is it that I've dedicated much of my existence, most of my hopes, and a good part of my life's effort to Spokane, Washington, a place considered by many world travelers as a backwater with little to offer. I could have made my way to the city, dazzled by the lights and action. I could have packed my bag and heart destined to experience a broader world. Maybe it's the security. Maybe it's tradition, although for me, my family carries no such banner. For these folks out in the wilderness, maybe it's the fresh promise each day brings. I don't know, but I wonder. I saw a billboard sign on a tired motel in some little forgotten place. It read: Always look up. So maybe it all comes down to faith. After we left Nevada, we waved to our friends in Filer as we crossed the Snake River into the heartland of Idaho. Thanks to the miracle of Trip Advisor, we found a little cafe in Diedrich, Idaho. We had to divert seven miles of our trail to get there, but the homey feel, the friendly feel (Even though folks there were Trump supporters), and the tasty home made food hit the spot. One cute thing: The place was filled with 3 x 5 posters, made each  in the likeness of some art form by Mrs. Standish's sixth grade class. There was a Monet, a Van Gogh, a Picasso, and such. I love kid art, and things of that nature can only exist in communities small enough to value its inhabitants. Believe what you will about Mormons, but they do family well. We got to Challis about five, checked into our room, and made for the soothing, steaming hot, crystal clear pools. Challis Hot Springs, a favorite of ours, has two pools. One is a large concrete swimming pool they keep at about 102 degrees. The other, my favorite, is a square shaped, four foot deep hot pool they keep around 106. When we first came to these hot springs, the hot pool was covered. They've now removed the roof, which allows soakers like myself to look up and give thanks. We watched the World Series until the bottom of the tenth.  By that time, Judy was carped out next to me, gently purring like the soft motor of a gas generator. Knowing I had eight hours of "Barn Screeching" driving ahead of me in the morning, I nudged her awake, and we went to bed. We had a nice soak before breakfast in the morning, and added to our morning prayers thanks for the fact that our lives are good, especially today.
 Without the internet, we'd never have discovered this place.

 Pictures can't capture the vast grandeur. Come see for yourself.

 This building, over a hundred years old, will be decommissioned at the end of the month.
 The hot pool.
 Ahhhh!
 The source  spring.
 The large pool.
 My Bunny enjoying our dinner of cheese, crackers, grapes, and an Asian cabbage salad.
 We're happy campers.
 And soon we'll be looking down another road.
Good bye Challis. We hope to be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment