Friday, October 19, 2018

Adventure 503: Busy Day: Activity Like Never Has Been Seen

Sarah, 1/4 of the baking crew.
The baking crew bounced out of bed just before 5 A.M. and ricocheted around the kitchen like Orionid Meteors. For sure, the dust trail of Haley's Comet has nothing on them: By 8:30, Eighteen pies, eight pans of cinnamon roles, six loaves of whole wheat bread, and two loaves of Sourdough had rolled off the assembly line, ready to glitter like stars in the treat room down at the sale. At this rate, the four baker ladies may earn names in Orion's belt. At the very least, they've earned places among the stars of the Milky Way. As for me, I got to be useful today. Loey asked me if I'd enjoy breaking down the garden, so I worked like a fanatic campaign rally attendee and body slammed  several tomato  vines, rolled up a soft sheet of weed suppressing plastic, unearthed a tough row of carrots, wrangled three semi-cooperative hoses, and tamed one large tub of twisted Republican twine.  By the end, I was sweating like a fat man, and my sissy city boy hands were sore and blistered from the effort. But it was great fun to spend the day in the bright October sun, feeling the weight of the rich earth cake on my boots, the salty sweat trickle off my body, and the true satisfaction of outdoor work. I hope I can still stand up tomorrow. Judy was no less productive. She spent the day selling goods. If there were bonuses handed out for volunteer sales, she'd be in the running for rewards never before seen. Anna, the boss of this sale, said she'd never seen a Friday so busy. One family group came into Judy's garden room and bought goods totaling well into the thousands. They said they wait all year for this sale. They take care of Christmas, birthdays, home decor, and provide a little justice in the world in one fell swoop. Meanwhile, the work on the farm continues. Loey and Sarah make runs to and from the church in between their regular chores. Gary, Andy and Lisa manage their long to do lists: Hay has been raked and baled. Beans have been thrashed and lifted. Seed has been gathered and bagged, and a steady stream of large trucks move in and out of Andy's seed bay. And don't forget Loey's sister, Virginia, who is here visiting from Alaska. She's kept herself busy doing chores as well. It's a very busy time.  Every time I looked up one or the other family member was riding off on yet another piece of farm equipment to take care of yet another task. I've enjoyed watching the progress this week. Every time I walk into town, another of the fields has changed its appearance. If they're not careful they may think they've come to an end of their efforts, but they don't let up. Instead, they embrace each task just as they embrace each day, and simply accept that tomorrow will be another long day. This tomorrow will mark the end of the sale at five. Unsold goods will then be repacked, ready to move on to the next venue. The church will be restored to its normal operational mode, and by Sunday morning, church members, including the Hooley family will be sitting in their normal places, safe in the knowledge that life is good, especially today.

 A glimpse of Andy Hooley's seed operation.
 My "farm" work for the day was to remove the tomato supports.
 That meant pulling posts, body slamming slimy tomato vines, and retrieving orange twine.
 I also dug a long row of carrots.
 Archie supervised.
 Nellie, seen here gouging my legs with her claws, critiqued my work.
There go Andy and Sarah on their way to thrash some beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment