Saturday, October 20, 2018

Adventure 504: Sale's End, Church Returned to Prayer

Boxland returns to Godland.
The closing bell rang right at five, and like race horses let out of their starting gates, a gaggle of folks began scurrying around. By 7:30, the stock had been repacked, the church furniture had been returned to each piece's normal resting place. The sanctuary had been cleaned (Along with bathrooms, etc.) The whole building had been vacuumed. The repacked goods had been loaded onto the trailer. The recycled cardboard, paper, and plastic had been loaded into a separate trailer. The shelving had been returned to the shed. The twinkling lights had been taken down and stored, and with that cooperative effort, this year's sale ended. Anna, the coordinator of the whole project, reported that the sale grossed in the neighborhood of $32,000 dollars. Patty, the marshall of the treat room, reported that $3,100 dollars worth of pies, cookies, and bread had been sold. The church uses some of those proceeds to pay for the advertising for the sale. The remainder goes into the church's general operating fund. I'm not aware of the advertising costs, but the work the ladies do to create the treats is astounding, so any profit beyond the loving efforts of the bakers is a bonus. The group at Stoneybrook (Loey, Virginia, Sarah, and Judy) alone amassed an impressive total of pies and bread. At work's end, the group of us sat down to a fine dinner of baked potatoes, two kinds of chili, a veggie plate, a fruit plate, a tray of lemon bars, and a tray of brownies. Gratefully, we all wolfed down as much as our stomachs and eyes could take. It's been a fast week, a refreshing week, an inspiring week, and a week that spread genuine love, gratitude, and good will. I feel like a battery that's been recharged. This place, this world, this "bubble" as Andy calls it, is so very different than ours - it's fresh and fulfilling. It's true that we have our own measure of community at home. We enjoy our share of family love, friendly love, community service, and we spread  as much good will as we can. In that, our world is much the same as life here in Filer. It's just nice to share a little taste of this world. I think that's what I enjoy most: the idea that good people can be found everywhere. It gives me hope and counters my often dire outlook. Bottom line. I'm just trying to live on the wings of my better angel. Flying there, I can truly believe that Life is good, especially today.

 I got to play in the garden again today. I dug canna bulbs for planting next year.
 I dug this whole row of gladiola bulbs which are special to Loey because they were handed down from her father.
 But I only needed to dig two boxes worth. Oh, well. More shovel work for the city kid.
 I had some help from Charlie Brown.
 I bid farewell to the peacocks that roam the farm.
 I bid farewell to the shadows playing in the hay.
 I bid farewell to the moo cows.
 The meeting room at the church, which doubled tonight as a dinner hall, sits ready for Sunday school in the morning.
 The Christmas room is ready for the children as well.

And for her final hurrah in the garden room, Miss Judy "womans" the vacuum.

No comments:

Post a Comment