Sunday, February 26, 2017

Adventure 364: Fredericksburg, Texas/Post B

St. Mary's church is enough reason to visit here.
Michael Stipe of R.E.M sang a song awhile back in which he quipped, "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight, losing my religion..." I never understood the lyrics of that song, but I liked the melody, and I can very clearly remember the first time I lost my religion. After my parents divorced for the second (And final time), I found myself living with my grandparents. In my turmoil, I used to climb up on the roof of my grandfather's garden shed, and sit, and think. In those days, my fourth grade mind thought much about "Why me?" It wasn't until much later I gave up on that useless question in the face of the mystic, and instead, responded to adversity with a more proactive "What now?" I haven't been faced with serious challenge for awhile now, maybe as a result of finding religion. I don't know. I do know that we found true religion in all its glorious forms today. First, we attended mass at St. Mary's, which is the most vibrant Catholic congregation I've ever experienced (It was the same the last time we were here). The church has a large enough congregation to support five services, maintains a large elementary, an effective community outreach, and has a published commitment to provide humane services for the immigrants in Texas. We attended the 11:15 service. The place was packed. Everyone sang, everyone prayed out loud, and everyone exuded palpable Catholic faith. From there we entered a different church at Hondo's, an iconic Fredericksburg watering hole/restaurant. On Sundays, Melissa Weatherly and her band, Sol Patch perform gospel music from 12:30-3:30. They sprinkle in a few non-gospel songs along the way, but each one speaks truth and inspires reverence. Just for cousin Jean, I'll list a few of the songs they played. "Standing on Jesus"; "Just a Closer walk with Thee"; "Stand by Me-Ben E. King"; "This Train's Bound for Glory"; "How Great Thou Art"; "Heart of Hearts"; "Have a Little talk with Jesus"; "How Far is Heaven-Los Lonely Boys"; "I'll fly Away"; "I've got a Home in Glory Land"; "Into the mystic-Van Morrison";  "Down where the River Flows, and more. I especially liked these lyrics "What have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasure you've given me?  Melissa and her band sang quite a few more, and they ended the day with Eric Clapton's song, "Presence of the Lord". And we weren't finished getting our religion yet. From the afternoon session at Hondo's we drove out to Luchenbach for the evening pickin circle led by Bill Lewis. Highlights were many for the evening, but Bill Lewis did one song, a tribute to chickens, in which he relived working in a hatchery. He sang of being haunted by chickens. The fun part is about six or seven women made cluck, cluck noises in between each of his verses. Even funnier were the chickens perched in the trees, crowing a couple of times at exactly the right time! It was quite cute. Melissa Weatherly and her guitar player (mate) showed up as well. The kept their theme of inspiring songs going as they sang a lyric that said "Life is beautiful, life is wondrous; every star above shining just for us. Life is beautiful on a stormy night; somewhere in the world the sun is shining bright. The night was enriched when a young woman (Teresa Rick) showed up. She was a fiddler (And also a guitar player/singer/songwriter). We left buoyed by the lyrics from a song she sang: "Give thanks for unknown blessings; they're already on their way". What impresses me most besides the uplifting themes is the clear respect the players have for each other. They listen; they add a layer that enriches; and they play as a form of worship. It was a nice day for religion. I'm glad we found it because it helped affirm our view that life is good, especially today.

 You can't go anywhere in Texas without thinking you're a star.
 Art shot of the day: Let's go chasing windmills, "Don".
 A natural plug considering Hondo started the Luchenbach mystique.
 Melissa Weatherly with her band Sol Patch. Free music; free inspiration. As I heard a man in the crowd say. "I speak at the Cowboy Church on Sundays. I just let the spirit fill me, and then I let it flow. Those who can be filled get filled."
 The last set of this religious Sunday begins.
 David, an excellent player in the Tom T. Hall tradition, sang mostly of found love.
 Bill Lewis (Gray hair); the six "chicks" clucking in the background.
 Brian is the guitar player for Sol Patch. Fabulous. He sang several original songs.
 I've never heard of Bill Lewis, but it's clear he's been an excellent musician for quite some time. It's likely he had a successful career.
 This young woman, Teresa Rick, came late and added a depth of emotion I didn't think the evening could bear. She made the cup overflow.
In the forefront of this picture are Carrie and Casey, a couple from Oregon we first met in Austin at the Pecan Grove. Since then, we've run into them three or four times. Sweet people, and a pleasant reminder that people are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment