Sunday, January 25, 2015

Adventure 182: Morro Bay State Park/Post F

Morro Bay Estuary
Five miles on the bike was a tad bit too far. We suffered through a sleepless night. As a result, we spent a lazy morning watching KU handle Texas. During the game I pretended to be a physical therapist and rubbed Judy's knee, which helped. After lunch, we joined a thousand or so of our newest friends down at the beach. We walked about two thousand steps because it helps to loosen the knee up. Needless to say, Judy is wishing she was through this part. It helped her attitude to leave me in the stink hole this morning. I'm ahead by one with three to play. This evening, we went to a blues show put on by the San Luis Obispo Blues Society. About five hundred people, our age or older, filed into the Vets Center to hear a local band (Code Blues) warm up the headliner (Sugar Ray Rayford). Both were excellent, and Judy's knee held up for nearly three hours before we drove back to Morro Bay. We were wide awake from the concert, so we watched the Zags crush Pacific (Thanks DVR). They are playing well. Judy went to bed as it is a little past midnight, so I'm reflecting a little bit. January 24th (Yesterday by on half hour) would have been Annie's (My late wife) sixty-fourth birthday today. I imagine at this age she would be slender like her sister Rose, and her black Irish hair would have at least a streak or two of gray, or maybe even fully gray like her sister, Claire. Her smile would still be radiant, and I'm sure she would have met the day with the unguarded optimism she did every day I knew her. I most likely wouldn't be on the central coast of California. Instead, we would have enjoyed time with any number of  her O'Brien siblings. Saturday, Steve and Elizabeth carried on our tradition of visiting her grave site. They took Grandma Chotsie and made a visit to Jack's grave as well. I miss many things about Anne. I miss her love. I miss her smile. I miss the way she organized everything. I miss her sense of family. I miss her Snicker doodles. I miss the way her hair would fall across her face. I miss the lightning quick way she could get angry and I miss being amazed that the raunchiest sailor talk ever could come from such a sweet woman.  She was just that, a sweet, compassionate person. I just miss her. The night she died, I coined the phrase, "Life is good, especially today." I live each day grateful for the opportunity because I truly believe that no one is promised tomorrow.


 Kids taking sailing lessons.
 Morro Bay Power
 Another fifty cars were parked to the right of us.

 California Hot Rod of the day.
 The view from the museum.
 We saw quite a few Monarch Butterflies today.
 Art shot of the day.
 Get ready for the blues.
 Code Blues Band.
 The couple in the forefront were quite good.
 Sugar Ray Rayford. Boy what energy!
 His lead guitarist, also quite good.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your ongoing travelogue, especially for sharing your memories of Anne, because, yes, life is good, especially today.

    ReplyDelete