Sunday, January 18, 2015

Adventure 176: The Vines RV Park/Paso Robles, CA/Post C

The Sunday morning fare at Cafe Williams
Ahhhhh, all is right with the world (Since I skunked the smelly Cager this morning to take a 2-1 lead in the Paso Robles Open). We won't dwell on another of my character flaws; it's not that I gloat, but I'm a better winner than loser. But enough of that. We enjoyed our traditional Sunday morning breakfast of fried potatoes accompanied by some sort of egg based delicacy. Today I cut the potatoes into half inch cubes just like Jacque Pepin taught me, and created a delicate scramble with feta, tomatoes, and kale. It would have cost us thirty dollars at a local Bistro in downtown Paso Robles. After breakfast, we went to a delightfully upbeat service at the local Mennonite Church. The congregation is small, but Judy did meet a second or third Weibe cousin from Beatrice, Nebraska. The people were quite friendly, genuinely inquisitive, and altogether welcoming. The opening hymn was Abe K Friesen's (Judy' father) favorite: "How Great Thou Art". The whole morning turned into a reminiscing event, which for me triggered an Annie moment. They come unannounced, and manifest in a tightening of my shoulders and a creeping pain upward through my neck. I've always believed that the pain locates there in response to Anne's sub arachnoid hemorrhage. Regardless, I've made it a practice to accept the moments as they come. I never try to suppress the pain as it claws its way from my subconsciousness to my consciousness. Today, my memory bounced around like a Pachinko ball.  I teared up thinking of how proud Annie would be of her children, shuddered like a helpless child at the thought of her never hugging her grand daughters, and wished that somehow she could still be here. This is not to disparage Judy in any way. She has been my anchor, my partner, and a selfless care giver for all of us for a lifetime now. I just wish Annie could have seen the dazzling spirits she brought into this world.  One phrase in the second hymn was "...because He lives I can face tomorrow." Those of you who know me know that I'm not about tomorrow. I believe that no one is promised tomorrow. For me, life is good, especially today. 



 A couple of very cool kids and a few photos from memory lane. 


 In Mexico.
 My birthday a few years back.
 In Seattle at the beach.
 My birthday even farther back.
 Some silly time quite a while back.
 One of my favorites.
 At Priest Lake.
 At Steve and Bonnie's wedding.
Look at these little Christmas angels. (I wonder if they have the internet in heaven?)


No comments:

Post a Comment