Saturday, September 18, 2021

Adventure 671: Sky Mountain RV Resort/Post C

Last night in Chama, and what a nice stay it's been. After breakfast this morning we mounted the bikes and left the train station just after the 9:30 train pulled out. We chased it up highway 17 toward Cumbres Pass. We caught it three times, and sorry I am to report that this blog doesn't support video. It was nice to get another perspective of our trip from yesterday. We used ample electric power on the way up the pass, and none coming down. The road, which I thought would be rough, turned out to be quite manageable. On a sad note (At least for me), the Wiley Cager increased her cribbage lead at lunch. She's now ahead $4.92 for the month. At a penny a point, nickel a game, that's quite the lead. She skunked me so badly at lunch (45 pts.), I feel like a skinned polecat. And worse yet, I've caught the fours. I haven't seen a double figure hand in so long, I'm wondering what kind of shenanigans she's pulling over there. I haven't resorted to anything funny myself yet; rather, I'm taking my beating like a whipped potato, hold the butter because I can tell you this, her crown is slippery. The month ain't over yet, Dewey. But enough of that, let's talk about Sky Mountain. First of all, when we made the reservation they said, "We work on the honor system around here." You can just settle up when you get here. It reminded me of the time when Steve and I rode across country. We bought some sausage from a local German man. He said, "I'll send you some sausage when it gets a little colder, and you just send me a check." It's nice to know that the honor system is still alive, at least in some parts. The park is well appointed, immaculately kept, and the proprietors, who have owned this park for fifteen years, are not only honorable, they're very gracious and accomodating. We're in site 14, which is on the edge of the narrow leaf cottonwood grove next to the river. We've got shade all day, and our neighbors are friendly. Nearly everyone around us come here every year for a month or more. Most are from Texas. Many seem to know each other, perhaps from home, or maybe from just being here. While Chama itself is a bit rugged, this place is a little piece of heaven. We prefer to stay in state parks when we can, and most often we stay in private RV parks on one night stands on our way to some other place. This park could prove an exception if it weren't so very far away from us, and for the fact that we already live in heaven in the summer time. Nonetheless, these folks are proving once again that life is good, especially today.

Selfie of the day: Chug-a-chug.
I can only assume that Julia, the owner, needs to keep herself busy in the winter. The park is replete with cute art.
A fast bit of weather moved through this afternoon, but by dinnertime, the puffy white clouds dotted the azure sky once again. Last year it snowed a foot on September 9.
Camp more, worry less. Put your thought here:___________, worry less.
Chama valley.
Art shot of the day: Narrow Leaf Cottonwoods.
You can bear it.
I think the reason we caught the train is that it only travels about 10-12 miles per hour. Our power on demand can muster a bit more than that, and I had my throttle flat out.
Never seen or heard of a yellow watermelon. The local fruit stand guy, replete with his purely Western handlebar mustache said he held a blind taste test for folks and they couldn't tell the difference.
The Cumbers-Toltec train pulled by engine 484. Come ride if you can.
Who? That's you, who.
OK, I'll stop bugging you now.

No comments:

Post a Comment