Thursday, January 21, 2021

Adventure 652: Casita Living/Post I

Today's hike started in the sun.
 
We enjoyed a slow morning until we drove to Sabino Canyon to meet our friends, the Kral's, for another splendid hike in Tucson. Sabino Canyon Recreation area winds itself around the base of the Santa Catarina mountains on the northern border of Tucson. The area is arguably the crown jewel. We hiked about five miles up a riparian trail called Bear Creek. After our turn around, we watched, and soon felt the advance of a desert squall. Dark clouds dripped rain in the South. The front edge of the wind poured off the mountains from the North. And soon drops speckled our bodies, forcing us to reach for our rain gear. Although the amount of rain was minimal, it did serve to drop the temperature from around 79 degrees to a bone chilling 58. Fortunately, we didn't experience this change until near the end of our hike. Regardless, it's just another example of the harshness Mother Nature can deal out to the unwary. However, I'm quite smitten with Mother Nature. I respect her as much as I love the fact that she cares little whether I'm prepared or not. I've learned that lesson. I remember as a young man, I hadn't. I took an overnight bicycle trip mid August. My destination was Fort Spokane State Park, a distance of about 75 miles. It was 95 degrees when I left, dressed in  a cotton t-shirt, cotton gym shorts, and cotton socks. I carried no rain gear. After all, it was hot, sunny, and dry. A sudden summer squall ensued, drenching me. The temperature dropped forty degrees. I was very near hypothermia when I reach Davenport, Washington. I took shelter in a pioneer era log school house that is part of a display in downtown Davenport. I stripped to God's birthday suit, started my cooking stove, and hooked my soaked clothing off my tire pump like limp weenies over a campfire.  Meanwhile, I shivered and shimmied myself to warmth inside my sleeping bag. From that day forward, I've never taken a bike trip without packing my cold weather gear. I do so love Mother Nature. She's completely fair, completely impartial, and not moved in the slightest by petition. I wish mere men could be so just. But enough of memory lane. As usual, I spent today's hike enthralled with the saguaros. I will miss them dearly two days hence when we fly back to Spokane. But not to worry about a future yet to exist; instead, I'll relish the fact that life is good, especially today.


These fellows live right outside the front door of the Firelight Casita we're staying at.
The trail, dripping on both sides with majestic saguaros, goes all the way to the base of the mountain where a seasonal waterfall tumbles. Due to snow melt, monsoon season, and frequent sudden squalls, Sabino Canyon has abundant water making it like heaven for the flora and fauna.
These guys decided to live among the granite slabs.
The trail leads on and on. Who can say about tomorrow?

I'm always on the look out for heart shaped rocks to add to my friend, Liz Ulmen's, collection. This one will make her howl.

All too soon, this blue turned into that dark gray to the left.
Meanwhile, our grandson, Falcon, is making his first visit to the ocean. Seems like he's having a good time.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment