Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Adventure 611: Folsom Lake Recreation Area/Post B

Bare and shorts: In March!
Well, today the spirit led us to forty really pleasant miles. We waffled a little after descending five pretty steep miles to the edge of the American River, and decided not to ride the entire 64. At river's edge the terrain rolled through the flood plain and eventually ends in what they call "Old Sac". We stopped just short of the Sacramento State campus, where the trail becomes an urban lane much like the Burke Gilman in Seattle. Nonetheless, the part we rode is spectacular, as was today's unseasonably warm seventy degree weather. We treated ourselves to an In an' Out burger for a late lunch, and BBQ'd some artichokes to go with our steak salad for dinner while we watched the Zags pummel the St. Mary Gaels for another ho-hum WCC championship. Great fun. Tomorrow, Judy and I are going to Costco to begin building our emergency six month food supply in case the Covid-19 really does explode. We may not be able to find hand sanitizer or toilet paper, but I'm sure they will still have dried goods like rice, lentils, salt, sugar, nuts, and the like. When we get home, we're also going to begin drying fruit at a furious rate. None of this is too much out of the ordinary. It's all the same stuff we usually eat, and if, as Trump says, "The virus miraculously disappears", we'll donate our stores to the food bank. On a bizarre note, I've had "school" nightmares two of the last three nights. Although the scenes are not the same, the issue is always that I can't control the class. It's terrifying, and forces me awake in a cold, shivering sweat. I've decided my subconscious is working overtime in response to the uncertainty of these current events. In any event, I've almost decided to stop sleeping because the dreams are so horrifyingly real. It can't be any worse to walk around zombie like from sleep depravation. But enough of what I can't control. I really have few worries. Basically, I live as good a life as I can, gratefully enjoying my blessings, especially today.


 Selfie of the day: Forty miles, no worse for the wear.


 My Bunny enjoying the veranda.


In an' Out is what it's all about.


 A couple of biker babes.


 One of the many fishermen we saw. I talked to one who said right now they are fishing for steelhead; in a few weeks it will be Chad; in July the Salmon come up, but unfortunately they can't reach their original spawning ground due to the dams upriver.



A guy needs a good stoker. Not many better than this biker babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment