Thursday, March 5, 2020

Adventure 606: Half Moon Bay/Post D

Last night's sunset. Liz gazing to the future.
Let the finger pointing begin, but before that take note that none of about what you may choose to read in any way reflects Judy Williams' out loud thinking. It's my rant, which is fueled by my seething bubble due to the misdirection, deflection, and out right untruths that emanate from the current administration. It shouldn't be hard to guess which finger I'm pointing at these guys. As you may have heard, It's all Obama's fault that the Trump administration ignored the World Health advice in preparing testing kits. It's Obama's fault that in 2018 the National Security Council's global pandemic director resigned abruptly, and that then national security director, lilly livered John Bolton, dismantled the rest of the team. It's Obama's fault, also, that in 2018, the Trump administration cut the CDC funding by 80%, which whittled the emergency response training around the world from 49 countries to 10, not including China. And naturally, it's Obama's fault that last October, the Trump administration chose to discontinue a Bush era program (That Obama expanded)-called "predict" that monitored the global threat of animal born diseases to humans. And of course, Obama must be responsible for this year's budget proposal to cut CDC's current budget by another 16% (or 3 billion) for global health programs. And don't even get me started on blaming Obama for our immigration woes. I'm quite tired of this malignancy, but Super Tuesday gave me hope. The voting turnout all over the country was way up, and I believe a high turnout of right thinking Americans can rid us of this malice. 

On a way better note, we decided to go to the Stanford campus today. What a spectacular place! We spent time in the Rodin sculpture garden, some time in the art museum, some time in the school's magnificent chapel, and we strolled under the arches of the original buildings. Way cool! But the coolest thing of all was an exhibit of three pieces by a South Korean artist named Do Ho Suh, whose known mostly for his fabric art that comments on how we humans live in our space. My favorite was a 12' x 20' piece of fabric which from two feet away looked like a blank piece of beige fabric. Upon closer examination, each gap in the weave held a face from Suh's high school graduating class. With a smart phone, you could widen the focus to see each face clearly. The piece asked me to consider my individual place in this world.  It is titled: Who Am We? If I ever imagined that I mattered more than the speck of atoms that make up my existence, the piece asked me to reevaluate, which I've been doing all day long (Except during rant time). Thankfully, I've been blessed with an individual existence that accidentally put my genetic foot print here in America where I've been fortunate to bask in the efforts of my ancestors. I consider my good fortune God's grace since I certainly don't deserve the place I currently hold. Regardless, even reduced to the speck that I am, I still  thankfully enjoy a life that is good, especially today.




 The first panel suggests our invisibility as individuals, but surely further investigation suggests that we all matter.

During the Hundred Years War, the French port of Calais was under siege by the English for about eleven months. The officials of the city decided to give themselves over to the English if the English promised to spare the citizens. Rodin sculpted a famous rendition of the Burghers who gave themselves up. Some were stoic; some were grieved; some were horrified. All lived up to their promise. Judy and I are showing our Burgher faces in the selfie of the day.

 The original cordon of buildings at Stanford is simply magnificent. Maybe if I can get someone to forge some test scores, I could get admitted to graduate school.


The campus church proved a quite profound space.


 Let's hear it for the little angels.


 Here's one of our little angels trying to walk before he can crawl. Looks like Stanford material to me.







1 comment:

  1. Needed to hear these words and see these pics! Thankful for friends like all of you who allow me to trod vicariously through your journeys.

    ReplyDelete