Thursday, January 23, 2020

Adventure 563: Kral Cul de sac/Post A

Our new camp site: Kral Abode
Until Paul, Apostle of Christ introduced Christ, our Lord, the Greeks were happily polytheistic. Like many early cultures, they observed the world around them and translated meaning in the form of stories, or myths. Some of their myths seem phantasmagorical to us now, but some hold a remarkable grain of truth. Take the question of fate, a paradoxical conundrum befuddling mankind for ages. The Greeks personified the "fates" as three female figures: Clothos, who spun the web of life; Atropis, who manifested the twists and turns a life could take, and Lechesis, who cut the thread. The truth in the Greek view is that fate or luck or fortune does seem capricious. Why is it that some succeed while others fail? Why is it that some prosper while others wallow in poverty? Why do some enjoy good health while others suffer debilitating illness or early death. Thirty-two years ago, my Annie died suddenly of a brain aneurism. I've noticed over the years that my subconscious does not present its anguish on the actual day of her death (July 9, 1988). Rather, I start to "wig out" July 7th or so. The same is true for the day of her birth (January 24, 1951). I usually start my "wig out" the 22nd. Last night was the 22nd of January. I woke around 12:30 A.M. in a troubled sweat, thinking about the vagaries of fate. Not a day goes by I don't think of Annie. I seldom suffer nightmares after this much time, but I do wonder what she'd be like and how beautiful she would be. I also wonder which parts of my life would have turned out differently. Such is the conundrum of fate because I live like a king with another beautiful wife, and I've enjoyed a modicum of success over the years. For that I'm grateful, albeit a bit cautious, since I've personally experienced great loss. That said, few have a life better than mine. Fate aside, it might just be undeserved grace. Whatever it is, I live daily in the belief that life is good, especially today.

Selfie of the day: Philly Cheese Faces.
 We shared. Frankies, a popular place in Tucson for good reason, has the buns flown in from Philadelphia.
Our hosts, and good friends, David and Ginny Kral.
 San Xavier Mission was founded as a Catholic mission by Father Eusebio Kino in 1692. Construction of the current church began in 1783 and was completed in 1797.  In 1989, leaking walls forced an emergency restoration. In 1992, conservators began a 5-year rescue effort of the interior. Today, restoration continues as funds become available.

 The interior is a stunningly colorful mosaic of murals, statues, and ornate stone work.



 A likeness of Father Kino stands in one of the side altars.


Even raised Catholic, I'm not sure what these lion like structures are. They sit on either side of the main altar.
 A small chapel stands beside the main church. It has a walled courtyard filled with cactus genus of all kinds as well as a path following the stations of the cross.
The sanctuary by its very presence inspires the majesty of Our Lord.

1 comment: