Saturday, May 18, 2019

Adventure 513: Valley of Fire State Park/Post B

She's a Wiley Cager.
I suppose some of you have been wondering the status of the "Wiley Cager". Well, let me tell you, she claims to not even know how to cheat, but just this morning after two straight wins here, she deftly tried to pull a card from the crib to play the regular hand. Talk about cagey. I saw her hands moving side to side so fast, they looked like the shimmy of a belly dancer. It worked too. My eyes were so smothered with laughing tears, I couldn't see. I think it's safe to say to say, she's managed to learn a few misleading moves. I think she even has orange hair! What a way to start the day. We awoke to a spectacular morning, enjoyed a wonderful breakfast, and even though I had to suffer a few losses at the crib board, life is still good. After breakfast, we drove to the White Dome trail head and made the forty-five minute loop, after which we hiked the Fire Wave. This place is amazing, if only for the sheer oddness of it. All around the area the terrain is desert drab, but here in the valley, the red rocks do indeed rise up like flames. I can understand why this place held so much mysticism for the natives. Come if you can. In the meantime, I'll keep my eye on the "Cager". Needless to say, life is good, especially today.

 The White Dome hike, while short, is quite rugged.
 Poser!
 Trails are clearly marked. It would be a bad idea to become lost out here.
 This part of the desert is just beginning to bloom.
 Film Noir.
 What you looking at?
 Soon, these bushes will all bloom purple.
 The Fire Wave.
 I couldn't convince Judy this road was flat enough to ride.
These sandstone cabins were built by the CCC crews in 1935. They're maintained as a remembrance.




No comments:

Post a Comment