Friday, February 27, 2015

Adventure 213: Covered Wagon RV Park/Phoenix, AZ/Post Q

Another day in paradise.
The buy out worked. Stumpy ran away with this morning's game. I'm 0-1 (Let's hear it for creative math). In other news, we crossed the ten mile mark today, and what's more, we rode at a real biking pace (15 MPH). We even climbed a little. We drove out to the canal where it intersects off Northern and 16th Street. We rode south until the trail petered out, first to gravel, and then to the entrance to the Wrigley Mansion, a huge white monolith on top of a hill. The mansion has a three-sxity view that must have been magnificent before housing developments filled in the spaces below. It still commands a nice position, and it appears that the mansion houses an upscale dining establishment. We didn't go in; instead, we ogled at the view for a while and then rode back to the car. The ten miles took just under an hour and Judy says her knee feels fine. After the ride, we braved the masses inside a Target store where we bought a cute sun dress for Anne Marie, my niece Tina Valentine Pitts' daughter. Anne Marie is about nine months old and we get to see her tomorrow. When Tina was her daughter's age, I used to babysit her and my son, Steve. it's mind boggling that so much time has traveled down the canal. For the night's entertainment, we met Russ and Kathy at the girls state basketball semi-finals. We saw two games, both exciting, and both won by the underdog (I always love that). It's one of the beauties of sports. As they say, "That's why they play the game." In the late game, Desert Vista, the top rated team in the tournament, lost to Millennium. Desert Vista has a very talented player, Kristine Anigwe, who has orally committed to California. She is a dominant 6'4". By accident,  I was sitting next to her mother. As usual, I was taking pictures. Her mother, in a not so friendly tone, barked, "Stop taking pictures of my daughter." I replied, "Say what?" She continued, "I saw you taking pictures of my daughter. Please stop. It's awkward." I didn't stop, but I did take less (my battery was dying). I was taken aback by this women, and I'm still bothered a bit. I can't quite put my finger on it, except to say I don't take reprimands well, especially in a public arena in a fee country surrounded by several other photographers and at least one home movie buff. I can't imagine what was awkward about the scene other than I'm a elderly bald white guy and she's a very tall African American teenager, but then she wasn't aware that I was taking photos (I don't think). I can say I that I have no interest in this girl other than to document mown adventures. I did see her pose for a photo right after her team lost ( I found that awkward, but the photographer was a black man, so maybe that made it all right). I also saw her make eye contact with her mother during the game when it was clear the Millennium team had secured the win. I must say, as good as she is, it wasn't this girl who impressed me. The point guard on the winning team, a junior named Raina Perez was the one. She met very solid, physical, and athletic defense with poise, and she showed a determination that all winners have. She made big plays throughout the game, especially down the stretch (Including one very smooth tear drop that she eased up and over Anigwe). She and her teammates faced a more talented team. They did it together. They prevailed. Though Mountain Vista counter punched, as good teams will, the Millennium bunch just would not be denied. I just don't know. I'll have to think about things. On the one hand, we saw games tonight that present the best of what sports offer. On the other hand, I think I saw one of the unfortunate aspects of sport: Unrealistic parents. Perhaps it was something else. Russ, Kathy, Judy and I were the only Casper Milk Toasts in the immediate seating area, so maybe it was racial tension. Or perhaps it was something altogether different. I will never know and none of this matters. By tomorrow my own Alzheimer's will have set in, and I will be off to another adventure. Once again, all I really can say is that life is good, especially today.

 The back entrance to the Wrigley Mansion's cafe.
 The view to the west.

 The view to the east.
 The biker babe, tricked into climbing a kind of steep (Short) hill.
 Lunch on the veranda looks like it would be quite pleasant.
 Candid selfie.
 Kristine Anigwe. Yo'll be seeing her on TV in the years to come.
 Kathy and Judy (It's better when you warn them).
 This is a poor picture, but this girl, Raina Perez, played a magnificent game. It was fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment