Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Adventure 207: Covered Wagon RV/Phoenix, AZ/Post K

Great reward after a strenuous 8.3 miles.
And don't I just feel like the valley girl. Judy treated me to a mani/pedi today. I went the whole way and had the callus's on my feet trimmed off with a thing that looked like a cheese grater. The whole process (My third such experience, minus the cheese) felt wonderful. I can surely see why all the valley girls squeal, "Oooh, how cute!" It was a fun time, and we even had a five mile Phoenix Turnaround trying to find the Nail Salon, which of course broadened our mind maps of the area. The real highlight of our day was a 8.3 mile, fifty-three minute bike ride at an average speed of 9.7 mph.  Stumpy is getting so much better, she even talked about putting on her riding shorts next time we ride. It was a day of highlights. We made our third visit to our hole in the wall Mexican restaurant where I made my debut of speaking Spanish in public. I ordered in this fashion: "Quisiera arroz, frijoles y tres tacos con carne asada, por favor." The really gracious young señorita said, "Perfect." A glutton for praise, I beamed like a spot light at that comment. During lunch, I extended my lead to two games, leaving the Wily Cager stranded a mere two pegs from the end. She must have felt as hapless as a Seattle Seahawk. For our finale, we attended Tai Chi class. David let go of another gem, an element so critical I could spend the rest of my time here (And beyond) mastering it. He did manage (More gently this time) to notice and correct my standing stance once again. Nonetheless, I have something concrete to sink my teeth into. I love the feeling. It's like sailing on the wind when the boat bends its front shoulder into the wind (They call it "Getting a Bone in Her Teeth"). The boat tips leeward, the sails fill in a perfectly taut shape, the telltales pin back like the ears on an alert shepherd, and the boat literally frees itself, slipping through the water with ease, grace, and power. Some day I may experience that feeling inside the form. In the meantime, I'll keep trying because that's what humans do:  We quest. Quests make life good, especially today.



 Art shot of the day.
 We found a section of the spillway to ride. Flat. No cars. 
 Underpasses so riders don't have to deal with busy streets.
 Wild life. We actually saw one of these guys with a fish in its mouth.
 Better scenery than street riding offers.
 Cute stoker to power the tandem.
 A smiling captain (Let's see--give me some power on demand).
 We saw a few other bikers, a couple of walkers, but no horses.
 This system for mounting the tandem is quick, easy, ands secure.
 Frijoles, roasted onions y jalapeño, arroz y tacos con carne asada. 

 The taco.
 Getting the royal treatment (She even offered to trim my eyebrows, claiming it would make me more handsome).
 Queenie scrubbing the callus's off my feet.
Look, mom, so smooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment