Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Adventure 153: Turtle Rock RV Resort/Post A



Our view most of the day
Today, a small craft warning was in effect along the Oregon Coast, and that was just for the campgrounds. No fishermen were on the water. Even the birds were walking. Fortunately, we hooked up the trailer the night before, leaving us with only the electric cable, the water hose, and the leveling blocks to stow before we left. Still, my so called waterproof coat soaked through before we could get ready to hit the road. We expected to encounter hard rain and stiff wind. We weren't disappointed. However, the traffic was light, which allowed us to become enveloped in a world that made us feel small. The ocean's power, whipped into a sprayed frenzy, crashing ceaselessly against the shore, left us feeling cowered. Our drive took us on a portion of the coast that is as spectacularly beautiful as it is spectacularly exposed. The wind blew at thirty to forty knots most of the day, but it was at Port Orford where we felt it's greatest power. My guess is that the gusts we braved there were at least sixty. Never before have I been in wind that I had trouble keeping my balance. It was a bit unnerving. We received more than our daily dose of sodium just from the spray. Griff's is small diner and fish shop right in the middle of Port Orford, which for those of you who don't know is an open-water dock (no natural protection) and boasts the only dry dock port on the West coast. The fishing boats are lifted in and out of the water by operated cranes, set on custom made dollies and parked in rows on the dock. As a result it is known as a "dolly dock." Given the fierce weather, the entire fishing fleet was in for the day, which was good, because a few of the boats served as a wind break for Fric and Frac. We tried to walk at first, but Judy didn't think she could make it, so we blew like hurricane debris back to the truck. I shuttled her to the leeward side of the restaurant where she got out. I re-parked and leaned almost forty-five degrees into the wind as I walked the forty yards to the restaurant. It was intense. But so worth it. We enjoyed a steaming bowl of clam chowder and a two piece order of fish and chips made with fresh snapper. From there, it was a bit of a white knuckle drive to Gold Beach. I wish I had had time to enjoy the pounding surf, but the road is narrow, the turns are tight, and the wind was buffeting our rig, though I must say that Fric and Frac handled the conditions admirably. We set up at our site (which has a very nicely maintained hot tub). By the time we were finished, we were both soaked, so even Judy was ready to jump in the tub. We enjoyed about fifteen minutes of steaming hot bubbles unconcerned about the pouring rain (Judy said her hair was wet already). We took a little time to do laundry where Judy waxed me to the tune of $11 dollars dropping her debt to $302. I then cooked a fabulous (I'm not bragging-it's the ingredients) fresh Chantrelle mushroom pasta dish made with heavy cream, roasted tomatoes,  a small dice of shallots, and a hint of garlic. For dessert, we polished off the apple crisp Judy made last night. Now we've settled in to root for the Royals in game two of the World Series. As I write this, the rain is still pounding the trailer, and when the gusts sweep down, it's as if the aluminum is bending under the wash.  But, and this is a big BUT- we are much drier than the eight touring cyclists we saw on the road today. I know from experience (And they do, too!) that panniers don't repel water, but they certainly DO hold it. We talked to one of them at the grocery store in Gold Beach. He was asking us which of the grocery stores in town sold cheaper food. My guess is they aren't springing for a hotel room tonight. It probably doesn't matter. I noticed two of the riders a little ways out of town taking a food break. They seemed happily unconcerned about the weather. I know that feeling. The road hardens you after awhile. (Judy and I marveled all day as we remembered our cycling trip from Portland to Ashland.) Still, it made me glad I did that then, and it made me even more glad that I'm retired now. As for them, they're young, and even in these conditions, I would suppose that life is good, especially today.

 This shot doesn't quite capture the anger of the sea.
 Naturally, I went cheek to cheek with a semi-truck right in the middle of this tunnel.
Check the size of the waves to the left of the rocks!
Tony's Crab Shack in Bandon was our first lunch. Hobbits we are!
 I'll take a little of everything.
 My art shot of the working kitchen. Holy peeping Tim!

 Fish tacos made with fresh dungeness and slathered with 'Slap Your Momma' hot sauce.
 Griff's at Port Orford: lunch stop two (an hour or so later). Hobbits we are! Wind howling at least sixty knots!
 Fresh snapper lightly deep fried. Just delicious.
 This ain't your Campbells clam chowder, Dewie!


 
Port Orford from the truck window.
 The Wily Cager (Also known as a drowned rat) doing some household chores.


 Maybe the Pinot Gris gave the Cager a little boost.


.








Be glad you aren't tent camping tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment