Thursday, October 23, 2014

Adventure 154: Turtle Rock RV Resort/Post B

Turtle Rock, quite obviously.
The pounding rain stopped about three in the morning. The silence woke me up so I made my way out to the hot tub to look at the stars. I'm sure they were there twinkling away just beyond what we've come to know as the Oregon gray: sunshine. The gray sunshine held all day, and the wind that ravaged us yesterday abated. It was pleasantly warm so we spent the day walking the beach, soaking in the tub, walking the beach, soaking in the tub, walking the beach... You get the idea. In the meantime I added to my tally, which surprises me because for a girl who cheats so much, the Cager is decidedly low on wins. Today, she pulled a new trick. A queen was turned up on the deck. I played a six and she played a queen claiming two points for matching the deck card. It was so stunningly bold, I almost let her get away with it, but I resisted because a slippery slope is a slippery slope. We also did a little maintenance around the trailer. I oiled the hinges, sprayed some silicon on the plastic parts, and I super glued a loose piece of formica next to the bed back into place. While I was at it, I cleaned and lubed the chains on the bike. Somewhere between soaks and walks we enjoyed a delicious lunch of an old favorite: roast beef, swiss, whole green chile peppers, spread with creamy horse radish and grilled to a golden brown. Real butter! Nothing like comfort food in the damp wilds of Southern Oregon. We made at least four treks to the beach ranging from high to low tide to try and get a sense of the change on the beach scape. At every stage,the ocean's grandeur impresses. Judy remarked, "I could look at this for hours." Here at Gold Beach the topography slopes quite steeply, which causes the waves to heave heavily with sand. At low tide, which was late in the afternoon, we scoured the beach hoping to find some gold nuggets. This was made all the more difficult owing to the fact that neither of us knows what natural gold looks like. I tried to get Judy to let me pry a filling out of her mouth so I could claim I found a nugget, but  like a teen girl avoiding an over amorous suitor she squealed "Stop that, you fool!" We laughed as we do quite often, but then why wouldn't we? The reprieve of gray sunshine is supposed to be over by this evening, the weatherman promising a steady flow of heavenly waters all day tomorrow. But since we know that none of us is promised tomorrow, we'll just relish the fact that life is good, especially today. 

 I took a demure photo of Judy in the tub, but she nixed its public viewing.
Our morning walk at high tide.
 It wasn't really cold, but we do have different body temperatures.
 We grew up with the normal curve, suffered through the J-curve as a professionals, and now we enjoy the S-curve as retirees.
 One dimensional photos can't come close to capturing the panorama, but this is a nice view.
 Home Sweet Home at site #24.
 There's my Bunny, solid as a beach rock.
 Even the sea foam is cool.
 Quite temporal, the foam performs a kaleidoscope in its demise.
 So, too, the speckled stone shrinks with each changing tide.
 As too, the solid rock will tumble beneath its shadow.

But look, today the gulls are tanning!


No comments:

Post a Comment