Friday, October 24, 2014

Adventure 155: Humboldt Redwoods State Park/Post A

Avenue of the Giants
We left Gold Beach under drizzly skies, but the light in the Southern sky guided us like a beacon. We travelled nearly 190 miles with traveling mercies. We stopped for lunch and gas in Eureka, CA. Lunch was at a little sandwich shop called 'The Hole in the Wall'. We shared a club with all the fixins' except hot peppers. It was very good. In addition, we were able to park just a block away with good access to 101. Along the way we watched the ocean waves change from sandy brown to emerald green. Welcome to California. We arrived at our campsite in the Redwoods about three-thirty and immediately set off on an hour's ride along the Avenue of the Giants. Wow! The pavement was baby butt smooth, the wind was light, an the temperature was near seventy. To quote my buddy , Ed Drouin, "This is great!" For dinner, we built a fire and roasted hot dogs (American style).  The evening is soft and the fire is warm. It's the first night of a scheduled five. We are boon docking (No power; real camping except for the Aluminum tent). It will be a good test of the batteries on Frac. I'm sitting here right now at the camp table under a grove of giant trees, and through the miracle of satellite I have two bars of 4G reception. Time will tell if that will be enough to download pictures, but here it goes. Oh, I forgot. Life is good, especially today.

 Hello California.
 I agree with the claim, and so do 97% of Yelpers.
 Club on whole wheat.
 The Bunny carrying the whole bike!

 Big trees will be the subject of photos for a while.
 I last travelled this road with Annie in 1972. I bring all my best girls here.
 Site #21.
 Warm and happy.
Weinies three.
 The ocean is magnificent and powerful, but the mountains draw me more.
 The site of a town called Dyerville along the Eel River. It was washed out in 1955. Now only the overlook remains.
My best girl enjoying smoked salmon on toast (I only go for the cultured ones).

No comments:

Post a Comment