Saturday, May 28, 2016

Adventure 268: Challis Hot Springs/Post B

Wild Idaho.
 I was happily basking in the hot pool by myself (An Unrealistic expectation) when three females, two women and a teen girl entered. The teen girl asked her mother, "Do you want to hear a joke?" "Sure, the suffering mother replied." "Two ants, a boy and a girl, fell into a pool. The girl ant drowned. What happened to the boy ant?" After some lame guess by mom, the girl answered, "He floated. He was buoyant." Not long after, a man about my age came in and commented that "Pepe' the skunk was stinking the camp up. It occured to me that the young girl had no understanding that this man was referring to a cartoon popular in a certain era. It highlights how difficult communication, especially ideological communication can become. The women left and this man began regaling me on the subjects of prick bastard environmentalists (Direct quote), the myth of global warming, and if I'd been willing to engage, a myriad of other sensitive issues. So mostly I stayed quiet, safe in my own space (Which by the way would be equally baffling to him if the truth be known.) Instead, I relished the memories of yet another "life is good" day. We rode twenty-four miles, and my knee did not complain. I got to view Mt Borah (12,662) the highest peak in Idaho's Lost River Range. I also stood next to the remains of the fault left behind from the 7.3 earthquake in the 1980's. The land dropped seven feet along a fault twenty-two miles long. Here I can agree with my anti-environmentalist pool mate. Mother Nature is indeed a powerful force, although I stop short of agreeing that the sulfur pools in Yellowstone cause more damage to the environment than all the auto emissions and Greenhouse gasses combined, but like I said. I didn't engage. I had to leave the pool when the serenity was completely disrupted by a couple of loud and inebriated fellows who threatened to enter the pool via cannonball. As I walked back across the grounds of the camp ground enjoying the serenading birds, I was once again thankful for this country's mosaic, our freedom to choose, and ever mindful of how difficult it is to reach consensus-especially in light of Ben Franklin's observation that "It's good to be a rational man, for a rational man can make up a reason for anything he wants to do." I agree. My reasoning tells me that life is good, especially today.

The Wiley Cager disguised as a biker babe.
Here she is up to her old tricks.
Mt. Borah (Center) in the distance.
The trailhead to climb Mt. Borah. Ropes and ice axes required. Sixteen hours round trip.
The Lost River Mountain Range.
Art shot of the day. Bike Towel.

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog and the photos.... especially the one of you both in the pool! Wondering if the cribbage board is one of your creations??? Stay safe and drive safe in the truck or on the bikes.

    ReplyDelete